Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mqtken

Chipmunks

MqtKen
19 years ago

Anyone have any tips on keeping chipmunks out of the garden short of eradication? I would rather not kill them.

Comments (5)

• grannymarsh
    19 years ago

This is off-topic, but I cannot access an e-mail for you.

Did you go to the Garden Lecture last night? For some reason I thought it was tonight, so I, obviously, did not. What a bonehead I am. If you did, would you mind sharing with me?

Don't have an answer re: chipmunks or red squirrels or ground squirrels.

Marsha

• Bob_Zn5
    19 years ago

They multiply at a prodigious rate. I don't know how you would repel them. Try hot pepper. If you don't kill them, I think you'll have to learn to live with them. If you don't have a cat, now would be a good time to consider one.

• northeastwisc
    19 years ago

The chipmunks have only bothered two plants in our garden - tomatoes and strawberries. They will occasionally snatch a cherry tomato, or take a chomp out of a large one, but not enough to bother about.

The strawberries are another story. They would clean out our patch as soon as they started turning red. We finally had to completely surround the patch with chicken wire and screen. Our patch is small, so that was not a major undertaking. Now we get all the strawberries. I must say, though, that it was fun to watch a chipmunk lug a big strawberry across the patio.

If your chipmunks only bother a few plants, fencing or other deterrents may provide a workable solution.

• MqtKen
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I think I need to put a smaller opening wire fence up this year. In the areas I have a small opening chicken wire, they don't bother anything.

GrannyMarsh-

I didn't make the lecture either (a teething baby at home). I don't know anyone that made it, but I wish I would have.

• JustTrees
    19 years ago

I only trap and move chipmunks if they are trying to live in the garage. I never see them doing much garden harm.

The rabbits have mowed my Crocus' to the ground again this year. Now those are another matter completely. I never go after them (chipmunk trap too small) but boy do I think murderous thoughts some days about rabbits.