Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jesterpoet

Lasagna Gardening Advice Needed (materials?)

jesterpoet
14 years ago

I've been reading the book Lasagna Gardening in hopes of starting a vegetable garden in the spring. My problem, though, is that this season I don't really have a lot of great materials for the layers. Newspaper & Cardboard are easy, and I can get peat, but I'm not sure what else to use, because I don't have much of anything collected from last season (as I had no idea I'd be doing this). That said, I'd still like to get started so I can have some veggies this year.

Can anyone make recommendations on what I might be able to get my hands on and use for layers, while still keeping this relatively affordable? I can't be the only person who has faced this problem. I'm a gardening AMATEUR, so talking to me like I'm dumb is a-OK! :)

Thanks!

Todd

Comments (2)

• cody_mi
    14 years ago

got any livestock farms near you? rake up some leaves and use those. use grass clippings after your first lawn mowing. it's never to late to start saving compost.

• paul_
    13 years ago

"Newspaper & Cardboard are easy"

Then you have all you really need to get started. While, yes, it would be best to have greens and such already on hand, it is not necessary.

Cody's suggestions are good ones and are what I'd recommend.

Happy growing!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living