Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy2shoes

Staghorn Sumac

wendy2shoes
19 years ago

I would like to try transplanting some small sumac suckers to the back end of my lawn. I lost a row of cedars due to a HUGE Black walnut which "jugloned" them to death. I have a feeling the Sumac should do o.k. as they grow near Walnuts in the wild. Has anyone had any success with transplanting from scrub (roadside) stock, or should I spend the bucks and buy nursery?

Comments (10)

• pondwelr
    19 years ago

Like the much maligned 'Bishops Weed', Staghorn sumac will
    be all that you have in your yard within a few years of planting.
    Still, if you are determined, call a local nursery and ask about it. It could well be that none sell this plant, or may even suggest you go and dig up suckers.
    Oohhh, makes me shudder!
    Pondy

• sneeze_guard
    19 years ago

Hello, l did some planting from wild guys a few years ago in a rocky, dry area, they are working out fine. Try to keep the weeds down so you don't lose them. Good luck.

• Judy_B_ON
    19 years ago

Be aware that digging anything up from land that you do not own (even the roadside) is illegal.

If you do plant sumac, I hope you have lots of room; it spreads rapidly.

• nushie
    18 years ago

Hi i recently dug up 5 sumacs for at a friends place. I wasn't sure if i should only take the smaller ones, but ended up taking larger ones.I planted them early in the spring, before the buds got large & opened ( I think the end of april- as they leaf later that other tree's) The smallest one is approx 4 ft high, and the other 4 are 7-8 ft high. I just made sure that i got as much of the main root, and smaller of shoots as possible. Once planted i watered them every day for about 2 wks ( although one that i planted in out back yard- i never once watered after i planted it- and it even took), and the other 4 all took with no problems.I was very surprised. I had researched it for some time, checking out other garden sites etc on the web on their care, the positive's & negatives of planting them. The only draw back people advised me of that i also knoew about was the suckers you'd get. All the advise i've gotten is that they just cut them off with trimmers of the lawnmauer - and the sucker doesn't grow back.The suckers only needed to be delt with about once every year- and grow fairly close too the surface of the ground ( 6inches or so).

They do need space too grow, but as long as your willing to put up with the suckers, and the care of these, sumacs do provide a nice accent too one garden.Great fall colour etc

good luck

• october17
    18 years ago

My sister has had them for years. She just removes the suckers she doesn't want. She pots them up too. She said she has found that the one yr old suckers have a lower survival rate, that it should be at least a two yr old sucker before you move it. She gave me a couple last fall. They survived in the pots over the winter. I say go for it! The fall color is awesome. Her sumac thrive in mostly shade, dappled sun under a huge cottonwood.

• jerger
    18 years ago

I'm not sure specifically about Staghorn Sumac and juglone tolerance, but here is a link that I have that lists a large number of plants with their juglone tolerance levels. It does not specifically mention Sumac.

Walnut Juglone toxicity

• TallFlowerinMI
    18 years ago

Got what "appeared to be" sumac in my back yard in 2000. Have seen sprouts in woods that look similar. Now those sprouts that were "very pretty" are now trees! Trees that are 14 feet tall. What the heck is this stuff? Very soft wood that cuts easily with pruners even when it is 1 inch thick. Wood is flexible but molts heavily. The brances have one central stem with several elongated spade shaped leaves - which looks suspiciously like a sumac. Saw some in the woods that have yellow panicles.

I really like it - it smells citrusy and gives my bathroom window the feel of showering in the Amazon!

What is it?

• stickhorse
    16 years ago

I have read that staghorn sumac has a male and female plant and only the female has the berries,if this is true how does one tell the male from the female other than waiting untill the end of the growing season? Thank for any help on this........stickhorse

• imagooch zone 6b/7a Chatham ON
    16 years ago

My meighbour planted some along the lot line and in a few years they were coming up EVERYWHERE!!! SOm sprouted 10 or 15 feet from the parent plant - They are so invasive, I wouldn't let them anywhere. He dug them up eventually and the suckers kept coming up for at least two more years. FInally - this year - no suckers.

Anne

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!