Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cody_mi

plant swap

cody_mi
19 years ago

if i plan an in person plant swap this summer, will anyone actually show up?

Comments (6)

• goodhors
    19 years ago

You have to get word out first. Perhaps send notices to the local Garden Clubs, Your Master Gardener group in the County Extension Office, a short note to the local paper with times and location. Get on the local Calendar of Events, with the local sales, dinners, Bazaars. Sometimes an advance notice, then a follow-up reminder the week before, especially if the paper is a weekly. Post a couple of notices, grocery store, Library, Senior Center, Chamber of Commerce, County Extension Office, places that people go by to read the message.

I would think you should get a fair turnout if word gets out ahead. Timing could be important, too early, no one has plants or divisions yet! Sometimes the first one is slow, get better results the second year or in a second get-together, maybe a fall trade. Good Luck. Tell us too, maybe some of us are close enough to come!!

• hagey
    19 years ago

Hi! Cody,
    I will try again. The first time this did not go through as of yet, however you might have two if it does go through later. I would like to go to your swap if it is in my area. The person above had some good ideas as to letting people know. Post also on the Get Together Forum. Go to the Get Together Forum Columbus, Ohio and see the instructions that they have and follow that it is a great swap and a lot of fun. We have gone to four of these swaps down there as we are friends with one of the gals. The choice of plants is fantastic. We also go to about three or four in the Lansing area. Get this out as soon as possible and have people post they are coming on the Get Together Forum, but remind people to go to that Forum in the Great Lakes Gardening Forum. People will come if you let people know what will go on and how it is done. Make it known that plants need to be potted and marked. Let me know if I can be of any help. Betty

• Chris_MI
    19 years ago

the Saline Garden Club is having their annual plant sale on May 21, 2005, so please don't pick that date!

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

this plant swap would only be for people on gardenweb. i've done this before, both times around 20 people said they would be there and then only 2 or 3 showed up. i won't waste my time trying to set it up if no one here is interested. if it does go through it will most likely be the end of june.

• hagey
    19 years ago

Cody, I will be there if it is not May 21st as we will be away. We probaly would not drive to the UP or way way up north. Don't know what town you will have it in. Write me an e-mail. Thanks.

• Ann_Michigan
    19 years ago

What part of Mi would this be????
    I work every other week-in so if it is my off week-in I would love to be there.
    Any roses??????I'm trying to get some starts!!!
    And all other plants*smile*
    Ann

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!