Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amateur26

Suggestions For Full Sun Patio

amateur26
18 years ago

I've recently moved into a house that has no landscaping in the backyard. I mean, there is only grass! We put in a interlocking brick patio with a low retaining wall and I need suggestions as to what to plant around the perimeter. The patio is in full sun from about noon onward. What type of flowers or shrubs can best tolerate the heat? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• jroot
    18 years ago

I have the same situation with my lower patio. HOT HOT HOT!

What I do is plant my dahlias and brugmansias around it. They love the sun and the heat. However, they do require watering, and they do require lifting in the fall. With the abundance of flowers and the fragrance exuded, it is well worth the extra labour, and they are close to bringing indoors. I will do it again this spring and love it.

• callalilykris
    18 years ago

If you're looking at planting annuals, zinnias come in so many varieties and colors and they absolutely love the sun. Also, they grow very easily from seed but wait until the ground is warm to plant. They grow very fast, too. If you like hummingbirds and butterflies, plant reds and purples. They are very attracted to those colors.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES