Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

what can I grow for spring crops now?

I live in the northern part of the lower peninsula in Boyne City Michigan. My gardening zone is 5. The main gardening season here starts May 30th. For cool weather crops,

you normally start them about a month earlier, in Early to Mid April.

I'm just wondering if I can grow anything now for cool weather stuff and if so what? The reason I ask is because the only thing I really have experience growing in early spring is lettuce and pak choi so I don't know what can I can't be grown with other cool weather stuff where I'm at this time of year.

I grew lettuce and pak choi around mid-April last year and they grew just fine, better than when I sowed them again in mid summer.

However I don't know what else is hardy enough that it can be grown now.

I was thinking of doing mizuna (a Japanese green) mustard greens, and kale.

However I'm wondering if it's feasible to grow stuff like root veggies, broccoli, and cabbage in early April this time of year for where I'm at?

If it's too early to plant the crops I listed above, then when would you recommend I sow them? I was thinking of Mid to Late April, beginning of May at the latest. However I don't want to push beyond the beginning of May because I know cool weather stuff doesn't like hot weather.

There hasn't really been any snow, and the next few days are supposed to be sunny and clear, with warmer temperatures.

Comment (1)

• taxus_man
    13 years ago

I saw first mustard seedling today from seed dropped last year. Cole plants are quite hardy, if you can find them in the store. Soil still too cold for most seeds.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES