Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Formosan termite in mulch?

ginny12
18 years ago

There is a rumor sweeping the internet that mulch that is infested with Formosan termites is being exported from the hurricane-stricken areas of Louisiana. Supposedly, downed trees and other wood infested with these voracious termites is being shredded for mulch. The department of agriculture in Louisiana vigorously denies this. They have quarantined all such wood.

I just read that this Formosan termite is already in the Chicago area from an earlier wood shipment from Asia. Does anyone know if this is true or is it just another internet hoax? I had thought the Formosan termite might not be able to survive our northern winters.

Comments (4)

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

You might find this interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban legends

• treemedic
    18 years ago

Here's some more info about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Termites in Mulch?

• ginny12
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks but I am aware of that information. What I would like to know is whether these termites can withstand a northern winter--and whether it is true that they are in the Chicago area from a shipment of lumber from Asia.

• Juliana63
    18 years ago

My garden club was in deathly terror of this unsubtantiated email. It's a good example of how these things get spread by well-meaning people who don't know the facts. The link below has detailed info on the hoax and formosan termites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Formosan Termites