Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Formosan termite in mulch?

Posted by ginny12 z5 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 8, 06 at 17:18

There is a rumor sweeping the internet that mulch that is infested with Formosan termites is being exported from the hurricane-stricken areas of Louisiana. Supposedly, downed trees and other wood infested with these voracious termites is being shredded for mulch. The department of agriculture in Louisiana vigorously denies this. They have quarantined all such wood.

I just read that this Formosan termite is already in the Chicago area from an earlier wood shipment from Asia. Does anyone know if this is true or is it just another internet hoax? I had thought the Formosan termite might not be able to survive our northern winters.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Formosan termite in mulch?

You might find this interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban legends

o

Here's some more info about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Termites in Mulch?

o

Thanks but I am aware of that information. What I would like to know is whether these termites can withstand a northern winter--and whether it is true that they are in the Chicago area from a shipment of lumber from Asia.

o

My garden club was in deathly terror of this unsubtantiated email. It's a good example of how these things get spread by well-meaning people who don't know the facts. The link below has detailed info on the hoax and formosan termites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Formosan Termites

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here