Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasonoski

Too late to plant lillies?

jasonoski
17 years ago

I bought a bunch of tulib bulbs last fall and never got them planted. Is is too late for me to get them in the ground and have them grow and flower this year? New to gardening and just trying to spruce up my new homw. I'm in Milwaukee, WI Thanks!

Comments (5)

• Judy_B_ON
    17 years ago

How did you store them? They may no longer be alive.

Anyway, you can try planting them now but you may not get flowers until next spring.

• jasonoski
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They were stored in the dark part of my basement at about 45 degrees since October. Any ideas if they are still alive. Unfortunately, I know nothing about bulb care yet.

Thanks

• karen_w
    17 years ago

I'm confused. Are they tulip bulbs or lilies?
    If they're lilies it's no problem. Plant them now.

• jasonoski
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops my error....I'll start a new thread they are tulips. sorry

• seil zone 6b MI
    16 years ago

If the bulbs are still firm, not soft or mushy, I'd go ahead and plant them now. You will probably get some leaves but no blooms this year. They'll bloom next spring. I was starting seeds in early March and came across a paper bag full of mystery bulbs and corms along with 2 old amaryllis' mixed in with my seeds so I planted them in pots on a lark. Several are starting to come up now and I think some are dahlias. Others I haven't got a clue but the amaryllis both bloomed for Easter! They're bright red and look lovely next the white Easter Lily and pink hyacinth plants I got as gifts.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz