Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deerfieldponder

Mourning sun and and shelter.

deerfieldponder
19 years ago

Hi...

I am looking for some local advice. I have prepared a bed that is against house facing East. It is 10' by 3' On the Norrth End I intend to put a climbing Rose over a trellis, this is the sunniest spot. The rest of the bed should get about 4-7 hours of direst sun. It is up agaist my garqage, yellow siding. I would like seasonal interest, maybe something evergreen. I alos would not mind a climber or two that was ok with part shade. Not looking for tall plants, but something with a long bloom??? Any ideas would be great.

Cheers, Matt.

Comments (3)

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

Yellow garage? A purple clematis such as jackmanii will look geat. It blooms profusedly around June then sporadically throughout the season. It is just about the easiest clematis to grow. Add various bulbs to extend the blooming season.
    - Some blue bulbs in early spring (Scilla sibirica, Muscari, etc.)
    -A few purple bulbs like Allium 'Golbemaster' for May-June
    -Lilies for summer
    -How about a small shrub with purple leaves?
    -Hardy geraniums with blue flowers such as 'Johnson's Blue'?
    -Nepata with blue flowers at the feet of everything else.
    -Heucheras like partial shade.
    -Blue-green or yellow variegated Yuccas will be evergreen.

I'm just throwing some ideas out loud.
    Have fun. :-)

• deerfieldponder
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I like the Geranium idea, I have some luck with them before, what is Heucheras? Also like the them of purble/blue against the yellow garage. Thank you!

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

Heucheras - Coral Bells - They come in are so many colors/shades. The deep purple ones will look very nice. They don't really like a lot of sun.

Would you consider making the bed wider than 3'? If you have room, make the bed as deep as you can. You'll have more choice and more room to play with. :-)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?