Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting time for petunia cuttings?

Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 07 at 19:05

Wasn't sure where best to post this so may post on several forums.

"Thrifty" individual that I am, I was thinking of buying one of the petunia baskets at Lowes [rather surprised thay already have them out] and start taking multiple cuttings. I plan on using them to plant several of those plant bags as my parents like to hang them on their trellis. Tender plants aren't generally safe to plant outside in their area til about Memorial Day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting time for petunia cuttings?

Paul, you sneaky little devil...:-)
It takes us about 4 weeks to put roots on and fill out a 2" liner. May take you a little longer without mist and bottom heat, but they aren't horribly difficult.

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 9, 07 at 20:20

I didn't know you could grow petunias from cuttings. I have some seeds started in trays but I have hair thicker than the seedlings are. I doubt they'll ever get big enough to plant out. I'd like to try some cuttings. Can you tell me how you do it?

o

yea, tell me too

o

did it work taking cuttings? I am trying to water root some right now

o

Dec. 6, I ordered 300 petunia cuttings...I dipped each in a rooting hormone, and used a screw driver to make a small hole..carefully put the soil around...used an elec. heater to keep the barn room at about 6o degrees..watered daily..and now appx. 1 month later..I have beautiful small plants with roots..I am concerned as to when to pinch the tops because some are about 2-3 inches...any advice?

o

So I'd really like to do this, can you do it at the end of summer and bring the cuttings inside? Also is their any specifics in picking out a rooting hormone?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here