Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hurley0816

blueberry soil ?

hurley0816
17 years ago

Hi the wife and I just bought our first home. I am planning on planting blueberries in some existing flower beds. I am going to remove the rocks that the previous owners used as mulch and some of the dirt under them. My question is what type of soil should, or can I get that is blueberry friendly? I figured if possible that I would get something that is acidic rather than change the soil to be acidic. Is it possible to get acidic soil?

thanks

Ed

Comments (4)

• Judy_B_ON
    17 years ago

Do you know the pH of your current soil? Inexpensive kits are available to measure this or ask around, soil pH is similar in geographic regions.

If your soil is alkaline, then you will need to constantly acidify your soil, even if you put in acid soil. This is because the soil under the added soil will be mixed in by soil organisms, worms etc and within a year or so the added soil will be close to the original pH.

Unless there is something wrong with the current soil, there is no need to remove it. To slghtly increase pH you can add peat moss or compost to the existing soil. To raise pH significantly, you will need to add elemental sulphur or other chemicals. You will need to know the current soil pH in order to calculate how much sulphur to add. Yearly you will need to check pH and add more sulphur as necessary.

It is nearly impossible to make alkaline soil acid enough to grow blueberries. I have alkaline, limestone based soil (pH 8+)and put in a blueberry patch 8 years ago at my son's request. We get about a pint of blueberries yearly from eight plants -- too much work for the output but I keep it up for the one or two homegrown blueberry pancake breakfasts we have every year.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing blueberries

• Judy_B_ON
    17 years ago

Here is another link about acidifying soil with information about how much sulphur to use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acidiying soil

• goodhors
    17 years ago

Not sure where you are located, but in Michigan you really won't get great any highbush growth and production, if you are north of the Grand Rapids, Muskegon area. There is almost a line across the state, west to east, from there. Below the line the tall blueberries do well. Above it, you need to grow the shorter, smaller berried bushes to be at all successful. I was thinking of planting blueberries myself, and this line/zone topic came up in our Master Gardener class.

Blueberries also like a sandy, fast draining soil, with the acidity mentioned. Don't do as well with production, in the heavy clays of my area. I figure it is better to know problems AHEAD, than be sorry later. I try to find out as much beforehand, so I can pick good choices with best chance of success.
    There are some blueberry patches locally, all seem to have the shorter bushes, which do fine in this clay area. Maybe patches have a locale with sandy type soil to aid drainage. We are below the magic line, but clay or no acid, may make taller bushes less successful here.

• hurley0816
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well my soil is alkaline between 7-7.5. do you think I could grow strawberrie,grapes and raspberries in it instead and try the blueberries in containers?

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH