Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthiegarden_gw

climbing rose?

ruthiegarden
19 years ago

I have a new picket fence around my front yard and would like to plant a couple of roses that would drape or climb on the fence. I'm looking for a good bloomer that is disease resistant. I've not had good luck with roses in the past. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (3)

• goodhors
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am not great on roses, you might check over on the Rose forum and Antique Rose forum for more advice.

However in our northern area, I have pretty good luck with Forth of July a newer rose. I really like the streaky red and white flowers, and it smells pretty good. They have a spattered look, each bloom is a different pattern, which I love. It blooms off and on during the season. Another you might try is New Dawn, a light pink, that is quite popular, grows a lot, and blooms all season I believe. It is a name they give out for covering arbors, trellis'. I have had OK luck with the old Blaze, a red rose. Does bloom sporadically, gets some spots in my location. My mother had one for years, bloomed all season at her house, great flowers. I will be trying some
    new-to-me yellow and light pink climberss, haven't had good luck with them here.
    I would also ask about thorns, some plants have sword sized thorns on older cane! Can be harder to trim when keeping rose bush in shape. Most roses are grafted onto other rose roots, you have to plant deeper in our cold areas, to protect the flowering graft. This might just entail extra mulch piled on main stems in late fall, or a rose collar. Can't put those cones on a climber!

You might also consider mixing a vine or two, in with your rose. Gives good coverage to fence, blooms in other colors, maybe at different times for more flowering. I like Clematis, lots of colors and flower shapes to choose from, have early, mid and late bloomers. Do need pruning yearly to get best flowering. Jackmani a deep purple, has been extremely reliable for me, with the longest blooming time over most of summer, no self seeding. Tantigua, yellow, bell-shaped flower Clematis, is also pretty tough, blooms here both spring and some in fall, does reseed easily. Many other flower shapes and colors. Takes a year or two to get Clematis going, then just continues to improve.

I just found out about a rose nursery in Belleville near Ann Arbor. It is called Great Lakes Roses, they grow many roses on their own roots. I was looking for a particular rose, antique, tougher on her own roots (I believe) and found it there. I just have to get over and get it picked up! People referring to this nursery, speak very highly of the roses sold there. Lots of antiques, which can be tougher, smell wonderful, but often only bloom once a season. They have a website, you could check many kinds of roses there. I think they do answer questions, you could ask about disease resistance, care in cold locations, hardiness, AND they are in our area, deal with the same problems. Maybe ask them for rose suggestions also.
    I want my roses as easy-care as possible, have both old and new varieties. I try to avoid those needing constant attention, I don't have the time or energy for it. Other folks love to putter among the bushes all season, spraying, trimming, tweaking them. They get WONDERFUL blooms. I do want LOTS of flowers all year, to see, smell and pick. Roses don't have to be hard work, many new varieties are almost no care. You have to decide how hard you want to work for them, settle on your bloom times, colors and shapes! Have fun choosing.

• JeannieR
    19 years ago

Try rugosas, pavement series, they are supposed to stay small, are very tough.

Also Jung nursery sends me a catalogue. And they have all kinds and sizes of Canadian Explorer roses grown on their own root. I have three of the climber types and they are way too big for a picket fence. I just let them grow how they want into a big shrub that is an explosion of bloom. The canes just arch over to the ground. They get chewed on just a little bit, but I don't spray or fertilize. They have almost no winter dieback. I have real tough clay soil. I don't even water, anything. I just mulch heavly with wood chip. And they grow out by the road. NOthing bothers the rugosas, not one bug, not one disease. And most of the Candian Explors are part rugosa. The pavement serious is supposed to stay small, but the one on the south side of my house is a good four foot tall now, and five foot wide.

• panspipes
    19 years ago

Don Juan is unbeatable. A continuous bloomer, rich red blooms, very dark green leaves with red "veins", and so disease resistant you can just forget about it. Oh yeah, and very fragrant. It seems to lack nothing.