Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
walter_2005

Full Sun Hardy Vines

walter_2005
14 years ago

I am looking for a vine to plant around a telephone pole at the end of my driveway. I am looking for something that would follow at some point during the summer and grows fairly quickly. It needs to be hardy as this area get sun ALL DAY. Any thoughts

Comments (6)

• cody_mi
    14 years ago

trumpet vine, wisteria, sweet autumn clematis. or you could try morning glories or scarlet climber

• linda_schreiber
    14 years ago

I would be really (**really**) leery of trumpet vine and wisteria, unless the telephone pole is surrounded by about 40 feet of ground that is regularly mowed. And even then, keep an eye out for runners beyond that space that are low under the grass and will come up where they can be a problem. Even the so-called 'less invasive cultivars' are at least this invasive in our area.

If you can wrap some sort of loose mesh (chicken wire, plastic netting, nails with strings strung between them, etc.) around the lower four feet of the pole, then scarlet runner beans or morning glories would be fine. Akebia would work. Many Clematis varieties would work. There are a number of vining things that would work.

Just one further note.... Make sure you are not going to be in big trouble with the company that owns the pole. Or try to at least plant things that will regrow easily if the serviceman rips it all down to be able to climb the pole.

• puzzlefan
    14 years ago

Sweet Autumn clematis is a wonderful vine, but it needs good soil and should never dry out completely. Sun itself is not a problem. It is a spreader though with lots of seeds.

• goodhors
    13 years ago

Wisteria, bittersweet, trumpet vine are all RAMPANT spreaders. They grow like Jack's Beanstalk, by the FOOT in a week. Nothing I would plant.

I would second not attaching vines to the pole, everything could come crashing down if the pole needs to be accessed for servicing. Perhaps a trellis in front of the pole?

I LIKE my clematis, would not plant were it could be torn down like on a pole.

Morning Glory is easily seeded, lots of color. Same with scarlet runner bean, Moonflowers, all which are annuals.

• paul_
    13 years ago

I would add my cautionary note as well -- think four or five times before planting trumpet vine. In addition to being invasive, it is an aphid magnet.

• unbiddenn
    13 years ago

bittersweet