Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miztiki

Moved from TX to MI, have some ?'s

Miztiki
16 years ago

Hi all. I moved back to Michigan after being away many years and will be planting a veggie garden this spring. I'm just north of Newaygo, about an hour north of Grand Rapids.

So when is spring? :-)

When is the gardening season over?

Are the wild turkeys going to cause a problem in my garden?

Does anyone know of a website I could check to see when things are in season here? I've got a bunch of stocking up to do.

Lastly, any idea when the morel mushrooms start popping up? How long do they hang around? What parts of the state have the best locations for them? I'd like to hunt for some.

Thanks, and I look forward to talking with you all this gardening season. Can't wait for spring!

Miz

Comments (7)

• Miztiki
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One more thing, are there any good gardening books or websites or anything specific to this general area (west Michigan)? Thanks!

• Drakens
    16 years ago

I'd worry more about the deer than the turkeys.

The state website usually has some good info, that's:

http:\\Michigan.gov.

or the MSU extension for Newaygo: http://www.msue.msu.edu/portal/default.cfm?pageset_id=28332

I can't really help with the other stuff, because you're north and west of where I am (Lansing), so your weather will be different than here in Lansing because of the lakes. Just get used to unpredictability. Our unofficial state motto is, if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes and it'll change.

• moonsanity
    16 years ago

Go to the library-- they usually have at least a couple of good books on Michigan/Midwest gardening. I agree the Michigan State website has a ton of information. Watch the Grand Rapids Press home and garden section too-- they have reports on frost etc. Best thing you can do is get to know your local nurseries and chat with them.

The turkeys have nevered bothered my gardens...not to say they won't though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annual National Morel Mushroom Festival

• gladahmae
    16 years ago

I'm north of you (Traverse City area) and spring is "officially" here (as in, we shouldn't have any more hard frosts) in mid, to the end of May. Bulbs, etc will be up sooner than that (they are starting to break through in spots that get all-day sun right now) but for us, the end of May.

• Miztiki
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far. I hope to hear more from people. Sorry it took so long to respond but I hurt my wrist and couldn't type the last several days.

Spring's a comin'!

Miz

• growgirl
    15 years ago

The book " perennials for michigan " is a nice one to get if you want to know what perennials do well here.This book tends to be easy to find locally. I have even seen it in my grocery store! There are others as well, I would search for them on Amazon. As far as websites go....www.msuplants.com is a great resource to use if you know plants you want to find out more about.

• diuble67
    15 years ago

the morels start popping anytime once it starts to warm up and there is high humidity, which is usually in may, even though this year they came early. one of the best place in michigan is mesick which is the mushroom capital of the world. even though it is to late this year, i hope this helps you out for next year.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting