Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrismich250

butterfly bush invasive?

chrismich250
17 years ago

Saline MI just issued their 'do not plant' list. Most of them are on the other alien lists, but Butterfly Bush? I can barely get it to grow in my yard, and it always dies back to the ground ever winter, and survives about 5 years. Well, I have 5 colors, and I am not going to stop planting them. Any thoughts?

Comments (9)

• karen_w
    17 years ago

Are they nuts? Mine grow vigorously after I chop them way back every spring, but they don't spread like an invansive plant. K.

• seil zone 6b MI
    17 years ago

Mine is like yours, Chris, dies to the ground every winter and comes back at the base each spring. A neighbor (who grows loosestife all over HER yard) warned me that it seeded like mad and spread easily when I got it but so far (about 5 yrs) I've yet to see a seedling come up. I don't understand that warning.

• Carol_Ann
    17 years ago

In some areas butterfly bush does spread like crazy -- not the individual plant, but from seeds. It can be a significant problem. Non-native plants like butterfly bush may not cause a problem in your yard, but that doesn't mean that a plant isn't generating problems in other areas.

When a non-native plant takes hold and starts spreading, they can crowd out native species. And not just plants, but it can change a whole ecosystem -- the soils, insects, fungi, everything -- in an area. It's worth paying attention to the warnings. They aren't given lightly.

It's more a problem if you live close to a natural area. And there are alternatives without giving up your plants -- some species of butterfly bush aren't deemed a problem, just Buddleia davidii. Also, if you deadhead regularly, you'll prevent seeds from ever getting the chance to spread.

Another alternative is to plant non-invasive plants instead of butterfly bush. There are countless plants that will attract butterflies that aren't invasive, and in many cases, will attract more butterflies and more species of butterflies than butterfly bush. A quick google or trip to the library will give you a long list of alternatives.

Insects, butterflies, birds, etc., thrive on native plants to feed/nest/etc. on -- these are the plants they are evolved to use. So native plants are always an alternative, and one that's becoming more popular for multiple reasons.

If you really want to encourage and promote butterflies, it's good to provide not only nectar plants for the adults, but "food" plants for the adults to lay their eggs on -- then when the larvae hatch, they have a good food source, helping them grow to the next generation of adults.

I'm including a link with more discussion on the topic of butterfly bush if you're interested. If you're thinking of planting other things, google butterfly plants for your area or check out some books -- there are lots on the topic.

Either way, happy gardening and butterfly-enjoying!

Here is a link that might be useful: butterfly bush discussion

• chrismich250
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I as a Master Gardener for 30 years, having been president of our garden club and being on the volunteer list to remove garlic mustard/buckthorn from our local parks, I know all about invasive plants. I was wondering if anyone else found that plant objectionable in MI. Our club is doing a large planting area around the Train Depot Museum with walking trail. We checked many lists, and while 3 species of buddelia are on the list(as per the nps.gov list)it is listed for HI, CA, VA and other warm states, it is not listed for states in our area zone 4- Michigan. I was surprised with their choices of the Saline MI list, as many others more serious invaders were not on that list. They told us we could not plant red-twigged dogwoods either. Where we were planning to put a Native Dogwood tree, they are now having a huge piece of artwork-so more choices need to be made. I wish there was one major clearing house list to keep us informed of all these plants, preferably by state or zone. Besides, it seems most of the plants in the trade are invasive somewhere--and for sale at local nurseries.

• gaoyuqing
    17 years ago

just drove by a tree conservation sale in the neighborhood and they were selling butterfly bushes!

• Juliana63
    17 years ago

I did a count of buddleia on my one acre of semi-suburbia in the Detroit area -- 15 mature shrubs that grew from seeds of one original cultivar. I've pulled up countless others, so this is definitely a plant that spreads either by wind or wildlife. The warnings are justified.

Juliana

• madpotter
    17 years ago

Asclepis or butterfly bush seeds like a son of a gun and it is invasive but
    very pretty! Buddleia is a woody per. and not invasive.
    cool list here, first time on and apologies if I sound like a
    buttinski!

• chrismich250
    Original Author
    17 years ago

asclepis or butterfly WEED, is a native perennial herb plant of MI, in the milkweed family--and I can barely get it to grow in my clay soil yard, much less self-seed. You are correct that Buddleia, butterfly BUSH, is the shrubby one-the one on the Saline 'do not plant list". Also know that there is a butterfly PLANT, gaura, and that all three are totally different. This makes it so confusing when we only used common names.

• old_dirt 6a
    17 years ago

I don't consider Buddleia davidii a problem here in zone 5. I've got 5 of them and if a few seeds do germinate, so what, it's not as if I have or want a maintenance free garden. I'll pull them out or mow them down, maybe I'll transplant some out back and see what they turn out to be.