Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
furpaws

snow!!???!!!

Furpaws
19 years ago

Yikes. Our weekend forecast says we could have up to 4 inches of SNOW by Sunday night. That's just great. I have fruit trees in blossom, not to mention lilacs and viburnums loaded with buds, and clematis going gang-busters up the trellis.

Comments (16)

• grannymarsh
    19 years ago

Ahhh, yes. Michigan in the Spring. Ya gotta love it... It won't be the snow that does the plants in, but the temps.

• corbitam
    19 years ago

I already planted my summer flowering bulbs, covered with lots of mulch. Should I try to lay down something protective over the top? I would hate for everything to die after all of the $$ and time I spent.

• Lori_SE_Michigan
    19 years ago

I haven't put any bulbs in yet, but I did put some bare root plants in - I covered those with mulch when I heard the forecast. What about perennials that have started coming up, like hosta, lilleys, sedum . . . ? Will these plants be hampered all season without any protection?

• Peach_Fuzz
    19 years ago

My forecast says 8"! I just had the snow tires taken off my car!

• chills71
    19 years ago

I wouldn't worry for those of us in SE Mi. Thr ground has started to warm, and the cold weather is not likely to change that temperature much (the temps are forcast in the upper 30's-low 40's).

For new plantings I might put a tarp over anything that has a lot of new growth (again only for new plantings). As far as fruit, because the temps aren't forcast into the 20's I woudlnt' worry, besides this hiccup in the weather isn't likly to kill the plant and if it does get cold enough to damage buds, just what are you really going to do about it?

if the snow sticks around or it is windy there may be some freeze damage, but I'm not worred.

That being said, I do have one clematis that I will be throwing a wadded up piece of burlap over just to make myself feel better

~Chills

PeachFuzz, there's a nice house up the street from me, you should move.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    19 years ago

Lori, I think the lilies and sedum will be ok. I'm not worried about mine. But I forgot about the hosta I have coming up. Luckily only a few have popped up. I think since mine aren't up that much, there may be only minor leaf damage. I'm just hoping it won't go below freezing. They're calling for flurries here early Sat. morning, then changing to rain.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Kat

• eleanor_rigby
    19 years ago

How about a prediction of 10 inches of snow for the Cleveland area? I am not worried about anything surviving overall (will probably do in lots of blossoms if it gets as windy as they say), but I am concerned about branches that have started to leaf out.....all that heavy, wet snow is going to wreak havoc with them.

Eleanor

• Juliana63
    19 years ago

Only 1.5" on the ground this a.m. -- so much for the 4-7" predicted. It's blowing pretty hard at the moment, though, with about 1/8 mile visiblity, so I expect we'll get a bit more accumulation today. Shorts last week and down parka this weekend -- ah Michigan in spring!

• Irmgaard
    19 years ago

Mother Nature...BAD I'm looking at 2 inches of snow and its still coming down sidways!! Wind chill of 22 and going down. What really broke my heart was the robin egg shell I found in the yard yesterday, I can't bear to think of the poor freezing naked babies and parents that wont' be able to find worms for them in this snow.

• ninamarie
    19 years ago

At least 4" here. For a while, I went and shook it off the hellebores, but I've given up. I'm hiding inside.
    In fact, it's snowing again now (2:14 p.m.) as I write this. I'd be depressed, but I have inner resources.

• Chitown33
    19 years ago

Chicago has dodged the snow, and the freeze. They forecasted 27F for last nights low, and it got down to 33.8F at my house. Nothing was damaged last night including some impatiens.
    Don't worry for those of you in Michigan, it will be warming up tomorrow!

• Bloomfielder
    19 years ago

My Magnolia is (was) in full bloom ... if my crab that I look forward to each spring loses it's buds I am going to have to cry .. the ground IS warm, but there is 4 inches of heavy, wet, snow on all the landscape ... and it's still coming down! It wouldn't have been so bad, but with all the warmth last week a lot things really "popped"!

• Peach_Fuzz
    19 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion Chills... I think I'd have to move to the caribbean to be happy right now! At least the snow doesn't seem to be sticking to the road. It has knocked down all my daffodils though.

• goodhors
    19 years ago

I guess I will be out beheading daffodils tomorrow. They looked so nice on Friday! The tulips were just getting colored, no much open yet. We are supposed to get rain on Mon, have to see what comes out from the snow. We didn't get much, but it was very heavy and sticky. Lucky us, we only got about an inch, not the 10" predicted. Sounds like the Thumb area got nailed! Funny to see the blooming trees with snow on them. All the little birdies showed up so brightly against the snow. I kept thinking I was seeing butterfiles, was bright yellow Finches. Lots of Cardinals, red-headed house sparrows too. I filled the birdfeeders and suet feeders to give them what help I could.
    I will just enjoy what survives, can't change the weather! I did move all my potted up plants into the shed, sure glad I did.
    I added four antique rosebushes purchased Friday from Great Lakes Nursery near Ann Arbor. Very nice place, lots of variety of roses. Real helpful sales people. My roses from there are really well grown, lots of foliage. I put rose covers over them, seem to be doing fine. Probably leave them potted until after the frost date, with no chance of losing them to weather.

• hairmetal4ever
    19 years ago

We got to 31 at the coldest...everything looks A-OK here in Akron, Ohio. We officially got 6 inches but only 2 on the ground as most melted on contact. Nothing really damaged here except my cherries lost 20 % of their blooms-not from cold but I assume from wind or the weight of the snow.

• Peach_Fuzz
    19 years ago

yea! my daffodils perked back up today!