Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ypoole

Hardy Hibiscus-needs dividing???

ypoole
18 years ago

A friend of mine has a hardy hibiscus that is approx 15yrs old. It has never been divided and has become huge. I would like to help her divide this but she is afraid that we will destroy it in the process. Does anyone have any experience in dividing these plants?? What time of year is best??

Comments (2)

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

I have never tried dividing mine, although it is only about 4 years old. It has tap roots, so I imagine will be difficult to divide.

On the other hand, you might want to try root cuttings or dig out only part of the clump instead of lifting it entirely off the ground to divide. That might work. It will be easier to take a piece of it now rather than later since it is probably still very short. If you wait until later, you might lose some of the blooms and also it will be very big, therefore more difficult to handle.

Hope you'll have success with it.

• Justine_London
    18 years ago

I think hardy hibuscus plants vary from one another. I'm assuming these are also known as "Rose-of-Sharon"? My plants are growing like one single bush that keeps getting thicker and larger, but, my friends' has offshoots/attached/babies which come away from the "mother-plant" quite easily. Go right ahead and separate the latter type as they take to a new location quite readily. As for the first example (mine),I'm not sure they can be divided.....I'm trying to grow it from seeds I harvested this winter. No signs of sprouting yet :o(
    Good luck, and Great gardening to you, Justine

Sponsored
blue house gardens
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Arlington's Bespoke Residential Landscape Designer