Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollysplace_gw

invasion

hollysplace
18 years ago

While edging my lawn I found large numbers of white grubs. Come summer I know there will be a lot of June Bugs(may Beetles). What's the best way to be rid of these pests?

Comments (6)

• chills71
    18 years ago

Milky spore. Check out your local garden center.

~Chills

• Juliana63
    18 years ago

You might want to evaluate the degree of infestation before treatment. Unfortunately, recent research has indicated that milky spore is far more effective in the laboratory than in the field. The link gives a brief overview, but you can google for more info on the issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: grub control

• hollysplace
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just edging the lawn I was finding one every couple of feet. I think that I'll recheck end of May. I want to be very careful due to children and pets. Thanks for the information.

• treemedic
    18 years ago

It's not really considered an infestation in a well looked after lawn unless you are finding 8 or 10 per square foot....unless the raccoons or skunks are ripping up your lawn looking for them!

• nohandle
    18 years ago

I have the same (potential) problem. I found some June beetle grubs in my lawn recently as well. It made me do some research on the subject to find some organic controls because I knew there had to be a better way then spreading non-selective chemicals on my lawn.
    That's when I learned about beneficial nematodes.
    Has anyone had any experience using these?
    I was in email contact with a guy from Koppert and he was really helpful. He sent me some additional information on the subject and answered a lot of questions.
    Then I called my local garden centre (DeGroots in Sarnia) and found out they carry them as well.
    I'm planning on using them on my lawn about mid-May.

Here is a link that might be useful: beneficial nematodes

• nohandle
    18 years ago

I just received some information on beneficial nematodes from Biobest down in Leamington. They say to wait until July at the earliest for application (after the new batch of eggs have hatched).
    Does anyone have any practical knowledge using these controls?
    Regardless, it's worth a try.