Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdiver_gw

meconopsis by the lake?

dirtdiver
19 years ago

Sherry AK's post on the "Michigan in Spring" thread got me wondering.

How many of you have tried to grow any of the blue meconopsis by a Great Lake, and how many have succeeded? I keep thinking that for those of us who do live really close to the water, we might have cool enough summers for them. Then again, sometimes we get those real scorcher SW-wind days that might shrivel them right up.

I started some up from seed once but let them dry out before they were even big enough to plant out. I'd be willing to try them again, which begs another question--anyone ever see plants for sale locally? Ideally in the Chicago or southeast WI area?

Comments (3)

• abrodie
    18 years ago

I have always wanted to grow this gorgeous plant, but here (just west of Toronto) even though I am about 500 yards from Lake Ontario it is HOT HOT HOT and DRY DRY DRY in the summer, so I haven't had the heart to grow them toward certain death. I'd be interested if anyone has had success ...

Brodie

• bob_r
    18 years ago

I'm also west of Toronto, about a mile from the lake. I've grown meconopsis (betonicifolia, grandis, and hybrids/selections such as sheldonii, GS600 and a few others). Several grew well and flowered but a few years ago following several prolonged droughts and prolonged watering they all died: the nearby trees had found the well-watered spot and produced a solid mass of roots which had choked the plants and starved them of water. The next time I try meconopsis, they're going into - get this - a bathtub sunk in the ground and drained by pipe to the surface downhill. Tree roots will not be able to grow into the soil, which can then be well-watered and well-drained as it needs to be. A lot of work? Well, yes but the flowers are worth it. Bob

• dirtdiver
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bob, I'm encouraged that your main challenge was tree roots. It sounds like you kept them going for a few years, anyhow. That would be good enough for me. Does lakeside Toronto have sandy soil? If so, it sounds much like Chicago. I'd have to love a plant a lot to dig a hole big enough to sink a bathtub, but I can see where the meconopsis could rate.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio