Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else looking forward to starting this weekend?

Posted by drakens 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 08 at 10:08

Well here in Michigan it's supposed to finally be a nice weekend, lower 60's and sunny! I look forward to starting some garden tasks, may level out the backyard with some soil, check out the hoses, fluff up the mulch, maybe even plant some daffodils. Anyone else itching to get out and start gardening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else looking forward to starting this weekend?

You bet! Not sure that anything is happening in the garden, but might get the greenhouse situated. Peppers and tomatoes are under lights in the basement and they will get moved outside in the GH in the next couple of weeks, weather permitting (over 35 degrees at night!).

I know every year winter seems long, but this year is extra long!

Duane

o

Dukerdawg,
You will be surprised. The gardens are waking up. I've been out in the yard the last few days and I've found green. Just little leaves forming at the base of the plants, but it is green!

Columbine,
hollyhocks
day lillies,
tulips,
lavender
foxglove,
weeds :(
ferns
jacobs ladder
hucherra
forget me not
stem growth on trees
chives
still living pansies
daffodils
larkspur reseeds

Since my garden is small, I would say 1/3 of it is showing signs of life if I look close enough. I feel like a proud mamma

We raked the yard yesterday to pull up some matted snow mold plagued grass. Much to my husband's delight, there are little grass sprouts 1/4 in from the soil.

Have fun out there!

o

• Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 20:19

Got some tom seeds planted last weekend and they've sprouted well -- very good germination. I've got a VERY bright/sunny window ledge so lights not a prob. Just have to remember to check them for water daily.

o

I have tomatos and peppers growing in the garden in the insulating teepees (water filled plastic chambers around each plant). The spinach and cold season lettuce is peeking out...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here