Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too Cold for a Garden?

Posted by antoniab 5 WofChicago,IL (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 10:26

I am looking at moving, and one of the places I'm looking to move to is at the bottom of a small hill outside of Mount Carroll IL. The yard is on the west side of a hill, and the bottom dips below the grade of the road, forming a low spot. I love this yard, and would love to terrace the slope for a veggie garden and plant dwarf fruit trees at the bottom but I'm worried that a garden there will be much more susceptible to late spring frosts and early fall frosts.
Will there be a big difference since it is on a western side of a hill with a big dip at the bottom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too Cold for a Garden?

Possibly. But think of it this way: even if you lose a hardiness zone in a microclimate with poor air drainage, you'll still be growing your fruit in zone 3b/4a conditions, and that's good enough for most temperate fruit trees. Many hardy varieties of fruit trees have been bred for short-season areas, and if I can grown apples, cherries (pie), and pears in northern Alberta, I think it's likely that you'll find suitable varieties for your comparatively more temperate climate.

The western exposure may be more problematic than the low spot, though: you might have to paint the trunks with a reflective paint so that the trees don't break winter dormancy too soon in warm spells. It probably won't be too much of an issue, though.

o
RE: Too Cold for a Garden?

Grow your dwf trees above and terrace for others like bushes, and leafy greens down below? Since the late frost protection from being up and having better air circulation will work, now you have to battle the fungus. I assume you have a lot of dew late into the AM?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here