Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bowfrog

Soap Insectide

bowfrog
18 years ago

I have heard that a solution of 20ml/l of dish soap makes an effective insecticide for things like cinch bugs, earwigs and fruit tree bugs. Then I heard that regular use of soap will cause the soil to be unable to absorb water.

I love the idea of natural materials to control insects....but I don't want to create other problems...

Your expert advice is most appreciated!

Comments (5)

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

it shouldn't interfere with the absorbsion of water. in fact when a peat based soil becomes compacted and hydrophobic a few drops of dish soap mixed in the water will encourage better water retention. if you'd still rather not use the dish soap, try a neem based insecticide.

• treemedic
    18 years ago

The soap shouldn't affect the water absorbtion into the soil. It is a surfactant that can be used to improve water penetration into dry soil.

• bowfrog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info....Ok, so what concentration of dishsoap should I use... is the 20ml/l that I heard correct?? I would like to use it to control cinch bugs and because they overwinter under my white Cedar and blue spruce, will the spray hurt these evergreens?
    Also hopefully I will be able to use the soap to control earwigs...they are rampant in my flower beds and I simply cannot grow marigolds unless I spray Diazinon (just hate to do that!)every 10 days.
    I will assume then that the same concentrations will work on courtland apples, niagara grapes, and a variety of roses?

Cody, What is a NEEM based insecticide? where does one get it?
    Thanks for your super generous help!
    Mat

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

neem oil is made from the neem tree. it's a natural insecticide and fungicide. safe to spray in the house even, although it has an odd smell. check at the walmart garden center for it.

• greenhummer
    17 years ago

Insect Control...Naturely. My favorite is Murthy's oil Soap mixed with water. This is plant based soap and cheap!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pest Control

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions