Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerry_wyomingpa

New (again) to Lorain Co. Ohio...

gerry_wyomingpa
16 years ago

I just moved back to Lorain County (N. Ridgeville), Ohio after being in NE PA since spring of 2001. So much has changed!

I was into plants way back when, but not like after moving to PA, I had a nice yard for growing things and lots of great soil and sun, things flourished, as did I those first few years. I left many plants behind, some I will have a chance to get back in late May, but most will have to stay. I am living with my sister and brother-in-law for now and they are not much into the gardening, and what they do have is all very structured...I was VERY informal.

Would like to meet fellow gardeners in the local area for information as well as garden tours and walks...learn tricks for the area and share any information I have that may help here.

I am pretty good at starting plants from cuttings, not sure if it is luck or not, but have a good success rate, so would be more than willing to help others with that...sister says I can grow anything, but I am not so sure...

Anyway, just thought I would do a quick introduction and see who is out there and where...

Gerry

Comments (6)

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I think this had spent enough time at the top, going to move it down.

• diggerb2
    15 years ago

gerry,

i live in the akron area. the ohio valley forum has lots more ohio people in it if you are looking for a more active forum -- sometimes this one seems a little slow.

if you check the ohio valley forum and find the link for the central ohio swap (its may 17th) you might like to attend it-- i've been going for about 5 yrs. they draw people from all over ohio as well as michigan, indiana, KY, PA and WVA, have a huge selection of plants, and the food is good too. yes its a bit of a haul to columbus but it is a fun day.

also go thru the zone buddies feature on garden web to find more people nearby

diggerb

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

diggerb,

Thanks for the idea of going to ohio valley gardening, funny, I always thought of that being the southern area of Ohio, WVa, TN and such...I had seen a posting about the big swap in May and thought about going but I am just not sure if I will be able to. I am supposed to be going back to PA for a few days to do some clean-up at the old place.

I used to host the spring swap in the area and LOVED doing it, but have very little room for plants here, and afraid I will get depressed with all those plants around needing good homes!

I lived in Akron for 7 years before moving to PA, I was in west Akron, not far from Highland Sq., you far from there?

Gerry

• gammy2
    15 years ago

Hey - I think you live down ( or up) the road from me;
    Been with Garden Web for 2 1/2 years and just found this form yesterday. I sure could use some help with rooting cuttings...all mine do is rot. E mail me..my address is available on GW...if you want to. i've plants you could cut and seeds I could share. gammy2. who is Gregory's grammy....in Columbia Station

• msaunt
    15 years ago

Hi Gerry and Gammy2, I'm in Lakewood, not too far away. Fairly new to gardening, I'm doing self watering containers on an 8 story balcony, and I have a 5x7 patch in my building's community garden (I just went and measured it!). I was at Petitti's on Sunday getting some tomatoes and cukes. I tried starting a lot of veggies from seeds this year.

Gerry, have you been to Schoepfle Gardens yet? http://www.loraincountymetroparks.com/sgarden.htm
    Last year I went around Memorial Day with my photography club, and it was GORGEOUS. There are so many different areas and views. Lots of different plants, hostas, etc. You'll have to check it out soon!

msaunt

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gammy...

I sent you an E-mail, not sure if you got it or not.

msaunt...

I have not been there, I will have to make some plans and head out, really looks nice from what I see on the site, will have to get a new camera, thinking of getting back into that, now that I have far less space for plants, so a good and bad thing.

The containers sound like a good idea for you, and if you are anywhere near the lake, I am sure the self watering will be needed with the winds you can get sometimes.

Hopefully we can all meet sometime, and have our own garden party, even if it is small :-)

Gerry

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living