Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crocrew

I need a hedge that...

CroCrew
19 years ago

I am looking to put in a hedge in my back yard.

list of requirments:

1) Fast growing.

2) Green all year long.

3) Cheap .

4) Max 10 foot tall. I don't mind clipping up to 4 times a year.

5) Max 3 foot wide. again I don't mind trimming.

6) The run will be 30 foot long.

7) I want it to have a solid wall like look to it. And green all year long.

8) The thicker the better.

The plants will have full sun all day long and I will have water hitting them if they need extra water. Soil is good.

I was looking at the two listed below. What do you think? Got any ideas on other plants that have a solid wall like look to it?

http://michiganbulb.com/item_disp.asp?pn=30205

or

http://michiganbulb.com/item_disp.asp?pn=16377

Comments (8)

• Justine_London
    19 years ago

I checked out your selections as I am thinking of adding and evergreen hedge to my garden too.
    I like one of your selections, the hemlock but, be careful......I'm pretty sure that ONLY the hemlock of the two you are considering is evergreen....

• Bob_Zn5
    19 years ago

Michigan Bulb doesn't have the best reputation.
    Take a serious look at some of the Juniper varieties.
    There are multiple resources on the web where info on upright junipers that would be suitable for hedging is available.

• GardenKiwi
    19 years ago

I would go to Lowes, or other garden centers, and get my plants from there. You can see what you are getting and be able to select those that are healthy. Over the years I have had no luck with Michigan Bulb company and would never purchase anything from them again.
    Good luck
    Kiwi in Kalamazoo

• MissBeth
    19 years ago

I agree, upright junipers would be very nice (although not sure they're cheap!)
    You could also try upright / pyramidal arborvitae (NOT globe arborvitae).
    And I would NOT buy mail order - go to a local supplier.

Beth - zone 5 MI near Traverse City

• Boop
    19 years ago

I second the vote for pyramidal arborvitae and look at Walmart or others for the best prices. My son just bought them for $8.00 a piece and Im sure they will be on sale for Mothers day. Happy planting!
    Boop

• Juliana63
    19 years ago

If any deer frequent your property, I would not recommend arborvitae -- they will strip it every year. They don't touch the Wichita Blue junipers, however, which meet your other criteria.

• MissBeth
    19 years ago

Yes, it's true - deer LOVE arborvitae!!!! And they don't touch the upright junipers/// So if you have a deer issue, avoid the arborvitae.
    Beth - Zone 5 MI

• nushie
    18 years ago

yew
    boxwood
    cedars

not sure on the prices i nyour area, but we have picked up some cedars for cheap price $4 for a 4 ft one. This was just from someone hwo plants them as seedlings, and then sells them later. They all took as well with no problems.Also sometimes you can pickup shrubs form people in the spring at plant sales.

good luck

good luck