Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mis2ko

Take out the grass and plant my Parkway

mis2ko
17 years ago

I want to plant the parkway (between the sidewalk & the curb). I'm in Chicago and it gets full sun. I will start with tall grass in the middle, but I need to leave a space for the people to exit their cars at the curb. Has anyone done this? I don't know what plants I should use here.

Comments (2)

• entling
    17 years ago

When you say you are "in Chicago," I assume you mean in the city. I would check with the City to see what their policy is on planting in the parkway; there may be an ordinance against it. If it is allowed, they may have resources to help, or may direct you to properties with planted parkways.

• Judy_B_ON
    17 years ago

Our city encourages what we call "boulevard gardens" as a way to decrease water use in the summer. To be legal and to preserve sightlines for drivers, the plantings must be kept under 2ft.

I have removed my lawn and planted to the curb (on a court without sidewalk) with native species. Short grasses that tolerate dry soil and full sun include blue grama (Bouteloua gracilis), side oats grama (Bouteloua curtipendula) sand dropseed and June Grass (Koeleria). Flowers include Mexican hat(Ratibida columnifera), liatrus cylindracea, pussytoes, short beardtongues and opuntia.

Around the corner, a neighbour has a wonderful scree garden with various sizes of gravel and an amazing variety of sedums on her boulevard. Another nearby garden is done with low groundcovers like thyme and small boulders. The "Stepables" line of groundcovers would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stepables