Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treefrogon

Who sells bulk Peat Moss?

treefrogon
19 years ago

I have called a number of garden centers and Hamilton Sod and am unable to find someone who sells Bulk Peat Moss, does anyone have any ideas?

Treefrog

Comments (8)

• grannymarsh
    19 years ago

Do you have a farmers supply store? Like where they buy bulk seed and fertilizer?

• ninamarie
    19 years ago

Why do you need peat moss in large quantities? What are you trying to do?

• treefrogon
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have seen a farmers supply store between Burlington and Brantford. I'll give them a call.Thanks.
    I want to try a Lasagna bed.

• Judy_B_ON
    18 years ago

For a Lasagna bed, you would be better off with a truckload of compost or top soil.

• ninamarie
    18 years ago

I second what Judy says. I operate a perennial nursery and might use one to two bags of peat moss in an entire year. I use it only for specific plants. There are better, less expensive, and more environmentally friendly soil conditioners around.

• treefrogon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Everything I have read on lasagna garden beds indicates I need to use Peat Moss as one of the layers, if I can get away with top soil I will be much happier.
    Thanks ladies for your advise.

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Please check out the Soil, Compost & Mulch forum on lasangna bed/interbay mulch/sheet composting. You'll find a lot of practical, economical and environmental friendly ideas there. Peat moss is NOT necessary for building a lasangna bed.

Have fun. :-)

• GardenKiwi
    18 years ago

don't forget to use a layer of shredded papers in there too - better there than in the landfill. Almost any office will give you their bags of shredded paper. Also check with coffee shops/restaurants and ask them to save their coffee grounds for another layer - you can use about anything. Hunt around for leaves from last fall and so on - just anything you can get your hands on will be wonderful. Good luck from Michigan!

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA