Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roadwife

suggestions on planting in sandy soil

roadwife
19 years ago

I live on lake michigan, but deal w/ sandy soil, and wind.

I am just starting to get into gardening.

Any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• dirtdiver
    19 years ago

I live a block and a half in from the lake, but basically have the same conditions as you. Are you dealing with sun? Shade? Are you in nearly pure sand, or do you have a few inches of lovely old lowland silt on top?

I can't offer any planting suggestions without knowing more about what you like and what you want to achieve, but basically, avoiding plants that prefer moist conditions and favoring those that like it dry and well-drained is a good idea. If you're in the sun, you can have a knock-out silver garden of stachys, rose campion, some of the tamer artemesia, salvia argentea, lavender et al. And between the lake and the sand, you can push your hardiness zones a bit too.

Knowing you have sandy soil is half the battle. Most gardening advice for the Midwest assumes you have clay and need to improve your drainage. If you want to make your soil more moisture-retentive, I suggest almost anything but peat moss (unless you're trying to accommodate azaleas and other acid-loving plants), which doesn't add nutrients to our very lean soil. I prefer compost and composted manure. Unless you're trying to grow alpines, mulch is helpful to retain moisture (and even for alpines, you'd probably want a gravel mulch). And be prepared to water more often, especially as you're establishing your plants.

Experiment, have fun.

• Bob_Zn5
    19 years ago

If you have a supply of seaweed, that is an excellent soil ammendment. Leaves, grass clippings, coffee grounds, etc. Learn how to compost.

• qbirdy
    19 years ago

Lupines are great in full sun to light shade in sandy soil. So are columbines. Iris can do good in sandy soil, but may need the bloomstalks staked.

• grannymarsh
    19 years ago

Start with a small area. As a newbie, you'll be better able to manage and pay closer attention. We all make mistakes no matter what our experience. Observe what areas are shady or sunny or protected from the wind. Most homes have a micro-climate somewhere.

Take a walk/drive around your neighborhood and see what is growing well at your neighbors. Talk with them, gardeners love to share plants and advice.

Start improving your soil. Sometimes I dig a 6" deep hole between my perennials and bury 'balls" of leaves or other compostable material right in the hole.

Invest in soaker hoses and bury them slightly underground.
    Less loss to evaporation and looks better also.

There is an alternative to peat moss--Coir. It is made from the outside covering of coconuts and is neutral pH. (according to the nurseries) And more expensive !!

I've been living on sand dune like soil for over 25 years,(3 different homes) where there's a will, there's a way.

Best of luck. Ask questions. Happy Gardening.

• Juliana63
    19 years ago

I confess to planting a long border (12' x 120') on the windswept, full sun edge of a former gravel pit (gravelly sand) with very little soil improvement. The plants that have done very well there with little care and no watering are:
    common yarrow, globe thistle, anthemis tinctoria (golden marguerite), asiatic lilies, artemisia, miscanthus, bearded iris, purple coneflower, lavender, rudbeckia, daylilies, meadow sage, hyssop, gaura, willow-leaf sunflower, heliopsis, and various nepetas (catmint)

Improving your soil with compost is always a good idea, but it's also important to work with what you've got as much as possible. Choose plants that like your site and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches and disappointment.

Good luck!
    Juliana