Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronto_gardner

worms

Toronto_Gardner
18 years ago

where in Toronto can i buy them. and how much do they cost?

Comments (5)

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

If you want them for a garden, or a worm bin, I believe you can just rescue them from sidewalks and parking lots after a rain. Vermiculture forum has more info on that. Have fun!! :-)

• Toronto_Gardner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yuck. that sounds horrible cuz i hate the little things. I think i'll get hubby to buy some.

• dirtdiver
    18 years ago

The vermicomposters don't use sidewalk earthworms--they use red wigglers. Which I think sometimes can be found at the bottom of compost and manure piles, and someone told me recently that putting coffee grounds in your soil will attract them. Since I'm not in your country let alone your city, I don't have a local source for you, but there are lots of worm vendors on the internet. And I think bait shops sell them in small quantities. Again, the vermicomposting forum is a good resource.

• Irmgaard
    18 years ago

Lurking in that forum yeterday, I got the impression that they do collect worms from the sidewalk sometimes...but the red wigglers are quicker at making compost. One interesting poster said that you could dig a hole, deposit your kitchen scraps, cover with leaves and "the worms will come". I'm guessing he meant the right kinds of worms too. I'm gonna try it.

• catsagogo
    18 years ago

I bought a gross of worms from
    Barrys bait and tackle on Kingston Rd in Scarborough.
    You could probably get them at any bait shop.

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz