Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrismich250

eeek, will frozen budded lilacs still bloom?

chrismich250
16 years ago

well, with a week of below 32 degrees weather, and more cold days to come, what will happen to my lilacs? Have I lost a whole year of flowers? I was able to get my water lilies back into the garage, but I could not catch the goldfish and there is about 2" of ice in my tiny pond. I guess only time will tell, and to think I was gardening in my summer shorts and tee top, only 2 weeks ago. Can anyone remember when we had the latest snow fall in MI over the years. I know its been very cold for Memorial day-wearing winter coats while camping-usually its raining for Memorial day.

Comments (9)

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    16 years ago

I'm about 45 min. from detroit on the canadian side between lake st.clair and lake erie, latest snow i remember was 1982 the 1st. week of april. Exactly the same time as this. Had about 6 inches..Woke up to about 1in. this morning.Don't know what will happen to any of the flowering trees.Were lucky things weren't further along, there would be even more damage..mark

• hairmetal4ever
    16 years ago

My lilacs are toast in Akron, OH. Look at the bush. If the new shoots look limp and "soft" you won't be getting any blooms. They'll re-leaf, but they only get one shot a year at blooming. If they still appear more or less standing straight, even if frozen, they might survive.

• hairmetal4ever
    16 years ago

Lilacs are different though - unlike forsythias, who have THOUSANDS of little flower buds all over, some opening before others, lilacs have 2 - 4 per twig and they expand pretty much at the same time. If they're toast, they're toast.

• madpotter
    16 years ago

just came in before the rain hits and the miss kim lilacs look good.....
    however the azeleas are so very burnt......... along with my acanthus....
    bummer of a spring. Enjoyed my magnolia for about 5 minutes.
    yours in dirt......

• hairmetal4ever
    16 years ago

Actually, the lilacs look OK here. THe leaves have brown edges, but the growth tips survived and with the last few days near 80, have grown a few new "whorls" of leaves that look fine - the flower stalks also appear to be expanding and still colored well, so we might luck out.

• chrismich250
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well, my lilacs took fine too. even the short 18" babies that I transplanted last summer are going to bloom. God is generous to us all.

• jgreen8520
    16 years ago

Mine seem to be doing ok, this time. I have had them freeze before though and I was sure that mine were toast also. Here in northwestern lower michigan, it got down to 23 and stayed there for a week but they are growing and the buds look good. I'm totally amazed.

• diggerb2
    16 years ago

mine bloomed too, but its in the shade until about noon
    diggerb

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz