Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debh_gw

woody poppy

debh
19 years ago

Has anyone planted woody poppies in zone 5-6? Is this the right time to plant them? Thanks

Deb

Comments (4)

• Juliana63
    19 years ago

Do you mean Celandine poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum)? Mine are blooming now (in the snow flurries). They were originally planted in mid-May as nursery plants, but if you have bare root or otherwise hardened off specimens, you shouldn't have any problem putting them in now. They are beautiful and seldom seen perennials -- lovely all summer long with repeat blooming.

Good luck!
    Juliana

• Ann_Michigan
    18 years ago

Stylophorum diphyllum zones 4 to 8

• pondwelr
    18 years ago

I just saw these pictured in a gardening magazine. What a wonderful idea for the wild/public areas of my yard. ARe they agressive? Who has a good source?
    Pondy

• linda_schreiber
    18 years ago

Wood poppies [as in 'woodland poppies'] are wonderful. One of my favorite plants for great early blooms, and great summer foliage. It's now a week and a bit after your first posting. As long as the plants look healthy, there should be no problem with planting now. If a heavy frost or freeze is forecasted [you never know around here] just cover them with a pot for the night, in case they aren't sufficiently hardened. Next spring, they can take care of themselves.

They are not particularly aggressive, but they will self-sow, and naturalize. Not a problem, though. They are easy to weed out, are generally happy with even a roughly done chunk-it-out-and-move-it-elsewhere, and they make lovely gifts [grin].

Linda

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner