Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonyamelon

Memorial Tree question for Michigan residents

sonyamelon
17 years ago

Hi! I am a North Carolina gardener and I would really appreciate some help from the gardening folks in Michigan. A friend of mine who lived in Linwood, Michigan passed away unexpectedly on March 29th. Some friends and I want to send a Memorial Tree to his wife and children and we would like to give her something that blooms at the end of March/beginning of April so that she has a beautiful tree to help lift her spirits during the time of year that she will be missing him the most.

Would someone be able to tell me what is blooming right now or what has just finished blooming within the past week or so? I live in Zone 8 so I have no idea what is going on in with plants in your part of the country right now.

Don't worry about the mature size of the tree, I still need to find out how large of a tree her property can accommodate. All I need is an idea of what is blooming so I can have a list of trees in mind. Shrubs are ok to recommend too. :)

Thanks, I appreciate any help you can give.

~Sonya~

Comments (6)

• Carol_Ann
    17 years ago

That time of year, most things are still just beginning to come out of winter dormancy... I can't speak for that particular area of Michigan but most of the things I can think of aren't really showy. Witch hazel might be a good one, some of them have bright, cheery colors and a wonderful scent; Cornus mas sometimes blooms that time of year although most people don't admire it as much as they do other dogwoods, which bloom later. The flowers are smaller and less showy but when it's in full bloom it looks like a birthday cake all lit up with candles (description courtesy of a friend!) :) Hopefully others will have more suggestions but that time of year is a bit early for most plants... good luck!

• sonyamelon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Carol Ann! That really does help. Our Witch Hazels finished blooming in February and we're in full spring bloom here right now so I'm glad I asked.

Since not a lot blooms there at this time of year maybe some suggestions of pretty ornamental trees that do really well in that area would help too. How do Japanese Maples fare in Michigan? With the amount of money we have collected so far we could afford to purchase a really nice modestly size Japanese Maple.

Do Saucer Magnolias do well in Michigan? They are supposed to be hardy to Zone 5 and they start to bloom here when the Witch Hazel is still in bloom.

• theyardman
    17 years ago

I know that Linwood is along the west shore of Saginaw Bay near the famed cheeze towns of Piconning and such. It is at the northmost part of the Saginaw Valley and is more continental than most of Michigan. Since that would be a safe zone 5, I'd recommend only a few plants; any flowering plum, or cherry (especially dwarf trees) would be good along with a pussy willow or forsythia. If it was about mid April, the options would multiply significantly. You may want to check with Dow Gardens (in nearby Midland) they seem to have a phenominal selection of plants and would have an expert who could suggest something other than what I just did. A google search for Dow Gardens in Midland, MI would be a good start.

• sonyamelon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions! :) I researched Dow Gardens yesterday and found out that for a $15 donation they will plant a memorial rose bush in their rose garden so we are pretty sure that we'll be donating some roses in addition to giving a tree to his wife. Judging from their website it looks like a nice place. He had three young children and I see that Dow Gardens has a children's garden, which is another reason it is appealing to us as a good place to donate. I hadn't thought about asking them about what's blooming, thanks for the great idea!

• chrismich250
    17 years ago

I know that a big problem in that area is cold winter winds-so think of them as at least a zone 4 or even a 3. Because of the open lot and the winds at my house, I'm a zone 4, while those in the city are a 5, and my sister-in-law in the dense city of Hazel park is a zone 6. So be sure to get a guarantee with all the plants you get. Bordines is a larger quality nursery out there, all the rest will be small mom/pop nurseries. Good luck

• Carol_Ann
    17 years ago

Saucer magnolias do well some years, and the flowers get zapped by a cold spell some years, so it's always iffy with them. When they're beautiful, they're beautiful, but the years they get hit by cold, the petals all turn brown and the flowers are a mess. A lot of people grow them in the midwest and the plants do well but the flowers aren't reliable.

I don't know about Japanese maples but I suspect there are some that would work. Hope you've had good luck contacting Dow and other places in the area that can give you better specifics than I've been able to. I love the idea of a memorial tree. Let us know what you pick!