Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkguy

Painting on Roundup?

pkguy
17 years ago

Circling our birdbath is bed of hen & chicks but there are areas with clumps of thick grass growing up amidst them. I try not to pull it up because those shallow rooted H&C's keep popping out of the soild and I stick them back in. Is it safe to "paint" some Roundup onto the grass with a tiny brush. I think I read somewhere about this.

Comments (7)

• eleanor_rigby
    17 years ago

Yes, this is a safe method to get the Roundup where you want it. Time consuming, but safe.

Eleanor

• chrismich250
    17 years ago

I paint round-up on the cut stems of Jap knotweed and thistle. The problem with round-up painting in the rock garden, is you will still have the grass in there, only dead. eventually you should remove it, and hope all the tiny roots are dead too, so it doesn't pop up somewhere else in that bed. I tried to do that in a daylily bed, but the results were that the quack grass roots were not all killed, and it still pop-up in that bed---ugh!!! So now I hand pull it 3x a year--and try to ignore it the rest of the time.

• Juliana63
    17 years ago

I would suggest lifting all the plants and teasing out the grass, roots and all. Dig any remaining roots out of the soil, then tuck the H&C back in. They are very hardy, and shouldn't mind a bit.

• pkguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the replies folks

• Judy_B_ON
    16 years ago

Regarding hens and chicks and hardiness.

When my brother Dave and his wife bought their first house, there were a number of hens and chicks planted in a bed near the foundation wall. He mentioned to her that if she knocks one out while weeding, no worry, just stick it back in.

Fast forward about 5 years....

Dave happens to watch wife weeding one day and notices that she has all the hens and chicks on the lawn and is digging with her trowel in the bed. He asks whats going on, she replies that she is weeding. He asks why the hens are on the lawn. She replies that is what he told her to do.

Seems she misunderstood and thought that the proper way to weed was to take out the hens and chicks, weed the bed, then plop them back. She had been doing that at least monthly for five years, not a single hen lost!

• pkguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well if that works why not LOL. Actually it just might be worth trying. They're barely in the soil and the lightest touch seems to pop them out anyways.

• leedavis
    14 years ago

I think there are painters who work on garden landscapes, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: massachusetts painting