Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting on Roundup?

Posted by pkguy (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 07 at 15:25

Circling our birdbath is bed of hen & chicks but there are areas with clumps of thick grass growing up amidst them. I try not to pull it up because those shallow rooted H&C's keep popping out of the soild and I stick them back in. Is it safe to "paint" some Roundup onto the grass with a tiny brush. I think I read somewhere about this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting on Roundup?

Yes, this is a safe method to get the Roundup where you want it. Time consuming, but safe.

Eleanor

o

I paint round-up on the cut stems of Jap knotweed and thistle. The problem with round-up painting in the rock garden, is you will still have the grass in there, only dead. eventually you should remove it, and hope all the tiny roots are dead too, so it doesn't pop up somewhere else in that bed. I tried to do that in a daylily bed, but the results were that the quack grass roots were not all killed, and it still pop-up in that bed---ugh!!! So now I hand pull it 3x a year--and try to ignore it the rest of the time.

o

I would suggest lifting all the plants and teasing out the grass, roots and all. Dig any remaining roots out of the soil, then tuck the H&C back in. They are very hardy, and shouldn't mind a bit.

o

Thanks for the replies folks

o

Regarding hens and chicks and hardiness.

When my brother Dave and his wife bought their first house, there were a number of hens and chicks planted in a bed near the foundation wall. He mentioned to her that if she knocks one out while weeding, no worry, just stick it back in.

Fast forward about 5 years....

Dave happens to watch wife weeding one day and notices that she has all the hens and chicks on the lawn and is digging with her trowel in the bed. He asks whats going on, she replies that she is weeding. He asks why the hens are on the lawn. She replies that is what he told her to do.

Seems she misunderstood and thought that the proper way to weed was to take out the hens and chicks, weed the bed, then plop them back. She had been doing that at least monthly for five years, not a single hen lost!

o

Well if that works why not LOL. Actually it just might be worth trying. They're barely in the soil and the lightest touch seems to pop them out anyways.

o

I think there are painters who work on garden landscapes, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: massachusetts painting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here