Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root cellars & Food Storage

Posted by zuni 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 15:48

The posts about root cellars are very old. Maybe it is time for a new discussion. I would like to hear from anyone that has SUCCESSFULLY tried preserving fresh foods this way.

I am reading "Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables" by Mike & Nancy Bubel, and that will be my guide.

We have a 150-year old house with a large concrete box in the basement. The bottom of the box is dirt. I suspect this was a root cellar at one time. I believe we would need to put some fresh sand in the bottom, mouse-proof it with some hardware cloth, and cover the box with an insulated lid. Does the food need to be packed in sand also?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root cellars & Food Storage

This is crossposted to Edible landscaping. Thought my reply had disappeared, but it had not been.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here