Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkguy

Port Huron/Sarnia area safe to plant?

pkguy
17 years ago

We're new to the area and I was wondering if it's safe to start planting bulbs like Hyacinths, Freesia also what about pansy'

Comments (2)

• seil zone 6b MI
    17 years ago

Hi pkguy, I'm just down I94 in St Clair Shores.

Are you talking about potted bulbs that are already blooming? If so I'd say hyacinth, tulip or daffodils would be fine. Most of the spring blooming bulbs are already up and starting to bloom. If they're just bare bulbs I'd wait until fall. You could plant them now but they may not bloom because they weren't cold for any length of time. Besides the leaves need to be left to die back on their own over the summer to feed the bulb or they won't bloom next spring.

Pansies like it cool so they should be just fine.

Fressia's are a summer blooming bulb. I'm not positive but I think they say the ground should be at least 50F degrees before you plant summer bulbs.

• pkguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Seil
    I had picked up a package each of inexpensive Glads and Freesias the other day just to scratch the itch of wanting to buy something, anything LOL I planted them yesterday so I'll see what happens. I'll put the pansies in a front bed this weekend, it looks like it we might be getting a decent weekend finally.