Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eden_gardener

Choosing a dogwood

eden_gardener
15 years ago

I am about to buy a dogwood for my woodland garden, that gets sun about three hours a day.

There are many types, and I have been given advise to get a Wolf's eye dogwood (new variety I think) because it has varigated leaves and larger blooms, and turns red in the fall. They are very expensive, and I am getting mixed information from experts. SOme say they are not good performers.

Another expert recommended the Golden Shadows dogwood, but was unsure of the flowers, re: insignificant or not. I live in the zone 5 to 5b range up by Guelph, Ont.

Does anybody have experince with either of these tree/shrubs. I am looking for one that doesn't grow too big.

Can't seem to find much info on the web.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Nature Nut.

Comments (2)

• ginkgonut
    14 years ago

Golden Shadows is a beautiful plant. I wouldn't call the flowers insignificant, but not as showy as the flowering dogwood trees.

• paul_
    14 years ago

IME, dogwoods grow very fast -- the one at my folks' place up state puts out 2-3 ft of growth each summer. If not cut back it will get rather large. Also dogwoods tend to put out a lot of suckers along the base and any roots near the soil surface. Another point to consider: while they are durable, they can easily split as a result of heavy snowfall. Again the one at my folks' place -- the main trunk has actually split in two and other large branches had to be cut off due to splitting breaking from the snow. Cutting it back every fall to the thicker, sturdier branches has seemed to help a lot.