Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murphyl_gw

Acid loving flower recommendations?

murphyl
19 years ago

The situation: I'm looking for things to plant in our front walkway beds that will tolerate acidic soil.

The beds in question are currently occupied by a mess. There is a large jack pine at one end of the bed, whence the acidic soil. Originally the area was planted with yews, barberry, and one large hydrangea; we ripped out the yews. My idiot brother-in-law (a landscaper by trade, which is frightening) told us to put in boxwoods, dwarf astilbe, salvia, two pyramidal Alberta spruces, carpet roses, a flowering cherry, hostas, heuchera, and pieris. Three years later, the hostas and the hydrangea are the only things that are doing well; everything else is either dead, sickly or just plain looks like $%!&.

Can anybody think of flowers (preferably perennial) that enjoy acidic conditions and can tolerate cold?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• grannymarsh
    19 years ago

Have you had your soil tested? Or a pH test?

• murphyl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I own a pH meter and test my soil regularly. Last year in October, the soil right under the pines (which is where the hydrangeas are planted) tested 6.4. Soil elsewhere in the bed tested 6.7. The rest of my yard tests 7.0-7.5.

As for soil conditions, the soil on my property is mostly clay, but I've improved everything except the lawn with nine years' worth of adding compost, mulch and various soil conditioners. (Dad won't let anyone touch his beloved grass except the ChemLawn guys - which is also why the lawn is the only thing on our property that isn't handled organically.)

I'm taking a series of soil samples to Bordine's tomorrow for detailed testing. I'll let you know what turns up.

• mphelps33
    19 years ago

Sounds like you should not plant any acid-loving plants. Acid loving plants like a pH of 5.5 or lower. You basically have neutral/alkaline soil thats slightly acidic only under the pines, since pine needles are acidic. Most of SE Michigan has neutral to alkaline soil. What color are your hydrangeas? If they're pink, then you have soil on the more alkaline side.

• murphyl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The hydrangeas are planted under the pines, and they usually have pink blossoms when they first open, but turn blue by late July/early August. (We feed them Holly-Tone and a light dose of garden sulfur when the ground warms up in May, and again in June.)

The reason I'm asking for acid lovers is because I'm planning on planting more hydrangeas in there, and as long as I'm doing that, I'm thinking of amending that bed to more acidic conditions.

• karen_w
    19 years ago

How about rhododendrons and/or azaleas? Roses like acid soil, too. Is it full sun?

• deerfieldponder
    19 years ago

I have wondered the same thing because I have similar sites. If you have some sun, strawberries or blueberries like those conditions. Bluberries are very ornamental, and love the acid soil.

• tadeusz5
    19 years ago

Lindsay; Try these plants;

Here is a link that might be useful: acid loving in Michigan

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County