Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_e

new gardener in Traverse City

Amanda_E
18 years ago

Hi, I was hoping to get some tips on types of flowers to begin with in my new garden. I just moved to Traverse City, and have taken up gardening, but don't really know what flowers to go with in this area. I love roses, but am not sure what ones to work with, and how long they take to bloom. Any advice on any flowers would be so great! Thanks

Comments (12)

• CzechChick
    18 years ago

That's a pretty tough question to answer simply because the choices are endless. I like to winter sow seeds. This year I started well over 40 vatieties that will grow well in zone 5, and that's just a start.

My personal Favorites are:

Achillea Pastels
    Bellflower (Blue)
    Blanketflower
    Blazing Star ( Purple Liatris)
    Blue Flax
    Buddleja Davidii (Butterfly Bush)
    Catnip (a must have!)
    Columbine Barlow (Double Flowers, multi colors)
    Columbine Dragonfly Mix (Semi-Dwarf)
    Delphinium Purple
    Dianthus (Pink-White)
    False Indigo (Blue)
    Foxglove (Mix)
    Gloriosa Daisy
    Gold Yarrow
    Hollyhock
    Johnny-Jump-Up
    Lupine Mixed Colors
    Maiden Pinks
    Monarda
    Purple Coneflower
    Saponaria (pink, purple)
    Rose of Sharon
    Salvia Blue Bedder (Sage)
    Shast Daisy
    Snow in Summer
    White Coneflower
    Yarrow

Good luck, and enjoy your new home. I should be going through T.C. this summer on our way to Beaver Island. T.C. is really beautiful in spring and summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sow Forum

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

Traverse City is a beautiful area. Congratulations on your move!! Call the local MSU extension agent for local growing conditions. They may also be able to put you in contact with some Garden Clubs. Even if you don't wish to join a club, I'll bet that some of the members would be glad to help you. After all, gardeners are a wonder bunch of people.

• MissBeth
    18 years ago

Hi, Amanda! I live near Traverse City (near Elk Rapids). Some easy things that do very well in our area and that are favorites of mine include:
    SPRING
    - peonies, siberian and bearded iris, oriental poppies, nepeta, candytuft, brunnera
    SUMMER
    - shasta daisies (esp. Becky), monarda, rudbeckia, tall phlox, daylilies, hosta, purple coneflower, asiatic lilies, oriental lilies, achillea Moonshine, heuchera
    FALL
    - several of the summer plants continue well into the fall; ornamental grasses
    ---------
    ROSES - buy 'own root' roses, not hybrid teas... try Buck roses, shrub roses, etc

You can find all of these things at local garden centers.
    I grow LOTS of other things I haven't mentioned here... if you have questions about any specific plants, please feel free to ask!
    Also, if you want garden center recommendations, let me know.
    Beth - Zone 5 MI near Traverse City

• Mozart2
    18 years ago

Amanda:

Search for the "Michigan in Spring" posting within this site and you'll find an enormous wealth of information including garden centers, recommended books, some places to visit, and a few fellow gardeners

Welcome to the area!

Bill & Sue

• tadeusz5
    18 years ago

Amanda;
    Join the Traverse City gardening club, i can't recall their name, but this will "open" a door/window for you , to the wonderful world of gardens, friends, and knowledge that you will traesure forever.

Rhododendrons, Azaleas , Pieris,Viburnums and copius other shrubs are being grown in Traverse City as well- even though the world thinks it's a Siberia.

• Sherry_AK
    18 years ago

What is the planting out date in Traverse City?

Thanks!

Sherry

• chezmoose
    18 years ago

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the area. I'm in Cadillac, about 35 miles south of (and a zone colder than) TC. I'd be happy to share my favorite garden centers.

Sorry I can't help with the roses, I've sworn off them. Too high maintenance for me.

I'm currently delving into shade gardening (since I live in the woods). Besides my bulb flowers, I currently have a beautiful Pasque flower, bleeding hearts and columbine blooming.

One of my favorite sunny flowers last year was May Night Salvia, blooms non-stop til frost. I also have two pink potentilla shrubs that are bloom continuously once they get started. If anyone has other long-lasting bloomers (sun or shade) for Z4/5 I'd love to hear of them.

Peggy S.

• MissBeth
    18 years ago

Re:planting out date -
    If you mean frost-free date for planting annuals, it's usually shortly after Memorial Day... you can try earlier if you're prepared to cover things... and keep an eye on the forecasts.

Beth Z5 near Traverse City

• Keli
    18 years ago

I live in Traverse City, send me an e-mail and I'll give you a garden tour and probably some starts.

• Sherry_AK
    18 years ago

Beth -- Re planting out date. Yes, I meant for tender annuals. Oh, yikes! I didn't expect it to be after Memorial Day ... that's about the same as here in Alaska!

Thanks for the information.

Sherry

• MissBeth
    18 years ago

I've checked the 10-day forecast, and decided to start planting annuals yesterday... hope the weathermen are right!
    Beth - Z5 MI

• tcjimm_gmail_com
    17 years ago

My wife has had great success growing tea roses over the years and currently has about 20 bushes. The climate varies considerably with the more temperate micro-climate located near Grand Traverse Bay. Areas more than a few miles from the bay probably would not do well with roses due to the more extreme temperature fluctuations.