Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayak_boy

online native plant nurseries for the Great Lakes Region

kayak_boy
15 years ago

I used to read these forums with some regularity and sometimes post. It has been about 2 years since I've been back here. I need some assistance. I searched the web for Great Lakes Nursery whom I've gotten great plants from in the past - and couldn't find them. Are they out of business? They were my favorite for natives. I've also ordered from Oikos and Musser Forests. Please respond back. I really need your input. I haven't ordered any plants online in a few years and I feel like I'm back to square one. Many thanks!!

Joe

Comments (7)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

What kind of native plants? Trees, shrubs, prairie plants?

Here's one for prairie plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Moon

• kayak_boy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info, Tsugajunkie. I have never ordered from Prairie Moon. I looked on a watchdog website for more info on them, and all the customer feeback was overwhelmingly positive.

I am interested in all types of plants native to the great lakes region - trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants, etc.

Thank you much for your input.

Joe

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

If you know the specific trees or shrubs you want, Forest Farm may be a source, but you may need an order of 5-10 plants to make their shipping worth it. If you are looking for ideas of plants, try the link below from Michigan State University's search engine.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: MSU Search

• chills71
    15 years ago

have you visited Arrowhead Alpines in Fowlerville? They open for business this week (I think) for the season.

check out their website.

Be warned, though, that the owner is an unusual character (even among us plant-types)

~Chills

Here is a link that might be useful: Arrowhead Alpines

• kayak_boy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your responses, you two. I appreciate your helping me.

Never visited Arrowhead Alpines. I used to go to school in East Lansing and now am in Saginaw.

I took a look at the sites you recommended and I was a little overwhelmed by all the cultivated varieties available.

I generally prefer wildtype varieties or cultivated varieties that have been around for a long time.

This year I may depend on the generosity of friends and family for plant starts and cuttings - turn about is fair play, right? I don't want to spend a lot of money. Happy Monday!

Joe

• growgirl
    15 years ago

Wildtype - Native plant nursery in Mason. They are not a web order company but have several retail weekends available throughout the season. Growing only michigan genotype plants. Go to www.wildtypeplants.com You can ask for a catalog too if you want one.

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

Here is another option

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Nursery

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator