Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kodi_gw

wanting to add some colour to a natural habitat behind me

kodi
18 years ago

I have recently moved into a house which backs on to a naatuarl habitat area. There is a small stream running through it and a few mature big trees and lots of lower growing bush. I think it may get fairly dense in summer.

I would like to throw in some seeds to perhaps add colour to the area and make it more interesting without doing damage to the eco system.

Any suggestions. I'm thinking of throwing in seeds and seeing what happens. MAybe some lillies to start.

I'd love any ideas or suggestions.

Comments (3)

• Juliana63
    18 years ago

It sounds like you have a lovely natural area. I would first suggest observation through the spring and summer to identify existing plants. If you are lucky, there may already be some wildflowers to which you wouldn't want to add any competition. On the otherhand, it could be rife with poison ivy, bush honeysuckle, and european buckthorn (my typical experience) that will need to be eradicated if you want to establish and enjoy wildflowers. This process can often take several years and requires a lot of patience and diligence but is well worth the effort.

In the meantime, you could investigate options for wooland plantings. Good Luck!

• pattio2
    18 years ago

In case you decide to spread some wild flower seeds around your property, please read this
    http://www.acreagelife.ca/war_on_weeds.html
    You might be sowing seeds that are considered noxious or restricted.

• Judy_B_ON
    17 years ago

If it is a natural area, please DO NOT spread seeds willy nilly. You will likely introduce invasive non native weeds that may spread and choke out the native plants.

There are few native plants for wet, dense shade that bloom in the summer. A number of wetland plants bloom in the spring before the trees leaf out. Trillium, mayapple and marsh marigold are some. Some native orchids may bloom in early summer. Ferns, false solomon's seal, baneberry, blue cohosh, wild currant and other leafy plants will provide texture and various shades of green, short lived white flowers and colourful berries. Watch the area and learn to appreciate the subtle beauty of a native wetland. Birds, bugs, butterflies provide interest and they feed on native plants.

Lillies are a bad idea. First of all, both daylillies and bulb lillies are non native and do not belong. Secondly, they require light and will not grow well in dense shade.

If you do want to add plants, please get permission from the landowner. If it is a conservation area or park, they may be happy to supply you with suitable plants if you do the work of planting.

Finally, check out Lorraine Johnson's books (The Ontario Naturalized Garden, 100 Native plants) for lists of native plants suitable for damp shade.