Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannier_gw

zone5 mid Mich. best preforming daylilies

JeannieR
18 years ago

Hi all,

Does anybody in zone5 mid, lower Michigan have any real winners in their garden? Ones that bloom a long time,and/ or repeat allot?

Which ones do you have that bloom at the same time together, and look really good, set each other off?

Any other good companions you have with your daylilies?

I finilly decided to get rid of a bunch of really crappy daylillies that were from a "naturalizing" batch I got many years ago, when I didn't know anybetter.

Well, the peonys got really big and grow over top them pretty much. And besides they are pretty ugly, and don't bloom much, and the foilage is ratty. I've been "painting" roundup on them, and the ones out by the polebarn.

I need some big colorful ones that show up at a distance for there. (barn is light yellow)

I was hoping to get some feedback on ones that people grow in this area that bloom allot, repeat etc. But, I want something different than stella.

I have allot of stella, and blackeyed stella. They were dug out of a bed that was moved for a new deck. Divided up, and temporyly put in a bed where I had room. They should be blooming size this year. I do belive I want to get rid of most of them too.

thanks! Jeannie

Comments (2)

• pattio2
    18 years ago

Jeannie - Is roundup killing your daylilies? I had the same problem and have sprayed them with roundup but they still seem quite strong and healthy. I don't know what to replace mine with either. Will be watching your follow-ups with interest.

• JeannieR
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It takes a couple of weeks to look like it is working. I have killed ditch daylilies with round up. I had dug them up and planted them in a flower bed before I knew any better. They didn't bloom enough, were infested with grass and the foilage looked ratty. Way too much work to dig them up. I'm hoping this works again. Don't want to dig all them up. Right next to huge peonys, and they are also invaded with grass that is working it's way to the peonys. And there are also daffadils growing in between them.

Jeannie