Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Road Side Planting

Posted by bumpkinpatch 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 07 at 22:30

I'm on a country road, facing north, and am looking for tree suggestions for road side planting - partly for wind break, partly for privacy. I'm considering blue spruce, but have read about disease problems. I understand road salt and cedar don't mix very well either. Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Road Side Planting

Our previous country road dwelling was north facing too.
The old owners had installed a hedge of current bushes and a cedar tree at each driveway entrance. (it was a half circle drive, so had two entrys) Even tho the plantings were barely legal in that they were partly on county owned right-of-way, they survived the salt and snow loads very well. In the States, depending on the 'class' of the country road, the county or town owns x number of feet from the center of the road bed, often into what homeowners consider their lawn. Anyway, we removed the hedge eventually, and my husband labored away building a stone wall, dry stacked. We learned the set back laws and installed the wall further away from the road. It was a labor of love for him and that wall will be standing 100 years from now. Truly a thing of beauty! Behind the wall we planted a varied mix of evergreen, white birch and Hickory.
So what I meant to say before rambling on, the cedars did just fine and the currents did too.
Pondy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here