Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodhors

Bulb Growth-FAST!

goodhors
19 years ago

If you haven't been outside this week, you better plan a trip out and peek under any garden covering you might have. I looked at my stuff last week, bulbs and perennials, not much of anything, anywhere. I moved a lot of my leaf mulch to peek under. Just the tulip tips and crocus were out. TODAY they are OUT! We have been doing a daily, quicky look-see as we wait for the morning bus, and were shocked to find the little Iris blooming! Not just one, but a good dozen or so, the dark purple. We moved a few leaves and things have shot up incredibly in only a couple days.

I got out the leaf blower after the bus came and went, cleaned cover off the beds. I find the blower seems to be less damaging than raking over bulb leaves a couple times. I do use a small rake to get the stuck leaves. I hand pull the stuck leaves the bulbs have grown thru.

Uncovered all the bulbs and found lots of stuff coming up under there. As I was finishing, husband came home and asked if I knew it was supposed to snow on Saturday? Oh well, too late now! They were looking better by late afternoon, had gained quite a bit more color, gotten more starch to stand up better. Perennials had spread their leaves and uncurled some more.

Anyway, you also may be very surprised with growth after a walk outside and a close look at your gardens!

Comments (2)

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

A stroll thru our gardens, the tulips and daffodils are poking thru. Probably more under the snow. I'm still too cautious to pull off the mulch as it is pretty cold at night.

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

I've been cautiously thinning out the Christmas trees I used for winter cover. Lots of things are up.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA