Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenkiwi_gw

Tropicals in Michigan

GardenKiwi
19 years ago

With the arrivals of robins, the snow finally departing and the spring bulbs peeping out my thoughts are turning to TROPICALS!

I am going to try and grow bananas intermixed with alocasia and colocasia. Ought to be interesting.

Who else in the area is growing tropicals and how do they fare for you?

How is it for you to get Must Basjoo thru the winter in zone 5?

Happy Spring

Kiwi

Comments (3)

• ladyblue62_gw
    19 years ago

Hi Kiwi, Hey you were one of the first to interest me in Brugs.!! My Frosty is alive and hopefully will be a very nice tree this year. I kept it alive in soil and it is about 6 1/2 feet tall. I've learned a lot since then and I love these plants. Thanks for getting my interest going !!
    I live real close to you, in Adrian!
    Bonnie

• chills71
    19 years ago

I've got Star Jasmine and a number of Passionflowers that I move in and outside as the weather permits.

Kiwi's, both hardy and fuzzy (that I also move in and out). Bay Laurel tree, 2 small Meyer Lemons that I am overdue to repot.

If I had the room I'd try the basjoo, but I think I'm going to research bamboo instead.

~Chills

• Chitown33
    19 years ago

I have a Musa Basjoo, But I didn't protect it really at all. They are supposidly root hardy to -2F, and we didn't see that this winter. Im still waiting for it to pop up. I think the roots are rotted though, so I'm not sure. I heard a huge pile of pine needles is the best for protection, and I didn't do that.
    I also have a sabal minor, which did just fine this winter, and a Windmill Palm, which is fine, but I requires a good deal of protection (fabric and rope lights), for about two months. I also have an agave harvardiana which is perfectly fine with no protection (only from snow) and my Yucca Thompsoniana and Rostrata are both fine.
    Theirs a huge range of things to try in the Midwest, you all should look into it.