Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmich_5b

Michigan/northern Ohio nurseries?

Cmich_5b
18 years ago

Seems like I can't easily find a listing of nurseries selling a wide variety of trees and shrubs, particularly large tree specimens over 7-15 feet. Only by chance, after searches failed to unearth it, did I discover Gee Farms. Is there anthing else like it around?

Can anyone suggest other nurseries in the larger Ann Arbor area (up to 2hrs away, I guess)? Most in the Yellow pages don't sell large trees and, of course, it's just Washtenaw Cty.

There's a number of trees we want this season from ornamentals (Stewartia, Birch, fruit trees) to a few big Spruce or Pine.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Juliana63
    18 years ago

Arrowhead Alpines in Fowlerville is excellent -- lots of unique trees, perennials, and of course, rock garden plants. Check out the Website: arrowheadaplines.com

I can also recommend Milarch Nursery in New Hudson for large trees. Google for their Website. They are located off Grand River, south of 96 and east of Milford Rd.

• chills71
    18 years ago

Oikos nursery in Kalamazoo may be worth a look, and they are having a half price sale right now.

~Chills

• Cmich_5b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's helpful. I wouldn't have been able to find these on my own! Between these and Gee, I've got somewhere to start.

• Cmich_5b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh hey, this is one I'd also discovered last year (with some difficulty, I believe). Ever hear of it?

http://www.skyhorsestation.com/

• Juliana63
    18 years ago

I haven't been there, but it's close to Arrowhead Alpines (on Gregory Road) -- looks good for a day trip. Note: AA is closed on Monday & Tuesday.

If you have a licensed landscape contractor, you might want to check out Christenson's Wholesale Nursery at Gottfredson and North Territorial (north of 14, east of Ann Arbor). I've never used a "licensed professional" so I've never had access, but the trees look great whenever I drive by. I would not recommend Plymouth Nursery at Plymouth and Gottfredson.

• david925
    18 years ago

Sky Horse Station was / is a you cut christmas tree farm. I noticed an interesting selection of trees when I was there last December. It would not be to far to travel to hit Gee's, Arrowhead and Skyhorse in the same day. The problem is that Gee's and Arrowhead could take a day each if you tried to see it all.

• magpie33
    18 years ago

If you're willing to travel a bit, downtown Detroit's Eastern Market has a lot of tree/shrub variety, at prices a good deal lower than the standard nursery. Open every Saturday from 7am til afternoon (later in the day yields better prices, but less variety).

If price is not a deterrent, any Bordine's location (4 in the SE MI area -- maybe one by you?) offers a LOT of larger trees (all kinds!). They are a bit on the spendier side, but have an extremely knowledgable staff and lots to choose from. You can check them out on the web at: www.bordine.com.

• islandgirl_mi
    18 years ago

I've found a wonderful selection of flowering healthy specimen trees and shrubs at Supple's Nursery. It's at 24508 N. Telegraph Road (US-24)between West and Van Horn Roads, I believe it's Brownstown Township, MI. Phone is (734)782-9811 My dad religiously bought his plants there since the 50's. I even found a 6 ft wisteria "tree" there last summer.
    There is also another, Schoedel's Nursery on 20900 Merriman Road in Romulus, MI (s. of I-94) that has 16 acres of trees. Their number is (734)753-4150. Hope this helps.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio