Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flyfishinggardener

new to the site

TomInMichigan
9 years ago

Hello all.I am new to the site.I live in S.E. Michigan and enjoy planting and maintain my gardens to attract hummingbirds.Just started a new project this week. I look forward to using the site!

This post was edited by flyfishinggardener on Tue, May 6, 14 at 2:33

Comments (10)

• mrbash
    9 years ago

welcome!

• TomInMichigan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you mrbash!

• paul_
    9 years ago

Greetings, FF!

I do feel obligated to give you a "heads up" that this tends to be a very slow/inactive forum much of the time. So don't let yourself get frustrated.

Do be sure to pop in on other GardenWeb forums like the Perennials, Annuals, and Trees & Shrubs forums. They are often more active.

• TomInMichigan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the heads up Paul.I will have to check those forums out!Like what I have seen from the site so far!

• TomInMichigan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finished the project.Rose of Sharon with some Sea Breeze Fleabane and some annuals

• paul_
    9 years ago

What color flowers will your RoS have?

• TomInMichigan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is labeled Lavender Chiffon and the pic on the label looked Lavender-ish so I am assuming that will be the color

• paul_
    9 years ago

My sis has several pure white flowering RoS. Buggers seed like crazy. I poisoned three of the larger ones (main trunks about 2-3 inches in diameter) off last summer -- they were flush against the house in what we are making into a large bed. (Digging them out was so not a workable option.)

Up at my folks' place I planted a pink with red bulleye flowered type that I grew from seed years ago. Had several others that I gave/traded away. As I recall, the seedlings grew quite fast. Reseeding hasn't been a major issue with that one. Most of the seedlings wind up in the lawn and get mowed down before they can be an issue.

• TomInMichigan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Someone else told me RoS can reseed like crazy.I have one in the back of my house that has not yet done that.Maybe its because when the flowers fade I pick them off and toss em into a lawn bag?I have been only really planting/gardening for about 3 yrs so I am still a newbie!

This post was edited by flyfishinggardener on Sat, May 24, 14 at 2:05

• eclecticcottage
    9 years ago

We have a bunch along a hedge row between us and the neighbors and they do show up all over the place. However, these are old, well established ROS so maybe it takes a while for them to start doing this.