Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dustyroux

Calycanthus - Carolina allspice

dustyroux
18 years ago

Has any one tried this in the Northern Illinois regeon and can anyone suggest it's hardiness zone?

Comments (6)

• Juliana63
    18 years ago

Calycanthus does well in my garden -- zone 5 Michigan.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    18 years ago

One winter for me so far...it got down to -15ºF twice and it's leafing out nicely.

• bob_r
    18 years ago

Juliana63 and Smivies, do your Calycanthus have fragrant flowers? I'm growing seedlings from a very fragrant North Carolina plant, and I'm wondering whether they'll make it here. (Some believe that only the southern populations are fragrant. If so are they hardy enough for us?)
    Bob

• Juliana63
    18 years ago

Although the plant is very hardy (flowering now), the flowers are not as fragrant as much literature suggests. The leaves are aromatic when crushed, but who wants to smash a shrub.... Not sure if this is due to our colder temps or the cultivar I grow (Calycanthus floridus). The standard of comparison I use for spring scent is Ribes odoratum -- Crandall flowering currant -- a terrifc shrub for all seasons. Let us know how your seedlings mature -- good luck!

• sfelsen
    18 years ago

I have had a Caylcanthus for 4 years. It is in a protected spot on the east side. I don't think it is a particularly showy shrub. The blooms are quite subtle. I havn't found it to be fragrant.

• Mary4b
    18 years ago

I planted 2 of these last fall. They made in through the winter beautifully...and I planted some other stuff that's supposedly much more hardy, that has not done as well. One thing I noticed about this shrub is that it had beautiful yellow fall foliage. Mine are in bloom right now, it's really not much of a bloom...they "flowers" are brown. However, I do think this is a pretty shrub when it gets more mature. My mother had one in the Kalamazoo area of Michigan and it was just lovely. That's why I wanted it.