Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgreen8520

Primrose Lilac... yep, the supposed yellow one

jgreen8520
16 years ago

I bought one of these about 10 years ago. At the time the seller, Michigan Bulb Company, said it would take it approximately 5 years before the yellow color started showing.

Well, it's been 10 or more years now and guess what? It is the whitist white you have ever seen. New fallen snow is not this white.

I have a friend that bought one about the same time. I don't know where she bought it, but it's white white too.

So I am asking if anyone out there has ever seen or has a yellow lilac that actually blooms yellow or even yellowish.

I'd sure like to get a start of it, if it really exists.

Comments (10)

• cody_mi
    16 years ago

we have two of the primrose, although we bought it five times. the big one bloomed last year and it was white too. although as the blossoms start to die they turn a yellowy color. the small one will bloom this year, i'll let you know how that one goes.

• joyful_grower
    16 years ago

Oh great. I bought one last year. A little sprig! But to it's credit it is growing and I have more shoots coming up. Course it will be years before I see the color, but now that I've read this thread ( and yes I bought it at the same catalog house) I'm sure it will be white! LOL. I've seen a tree that looked just like the "primrose" lilac...and I swear that this sprig is the tree I saw. Very disapointed when I saw the tree and figured it was what I bought...only sprig size. The yellow isn't a true yellow....more a cream.

• norah_s
    16 years ago

Must admit mine is still a nice pristine white, after approximately 10 years. It took a long time to start blooming, but it's growing nicely now.

Maybe it needs more sun? Cooler weather?

Oh, well, white is nice, and it smells quite pretty too.

• andrea34
    16 years ago

I considered buying one of these at the Rochester Lilac Festival this year, and the gardener in charge of the park's over 500 lilac varieties warned me that it would be a barely discernable buttery yellow -- leaning more towards white. So I decided against it, already having a white one. There are lilacs all over Rochester, and I have yet to see a yellow one.

• send_it_here_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have yet to receive a yellow lilac for Springhill nursery or Michigan bulb(same company) I have ordered yellow and got a reg. lilac after waiting 4 year for it to bloom. SO they replaced it again waiting 4 yrs for it to bloom ONLY to receive yet another purple. So I am completely done with both nurseries. Yellow lilac or more of a buttery cream but more white until age its it.

• choover1985_embarqmail_com
    12 years ago

Oh no! I just bought two from www.collectionsetc.com that are supposed to be primrose lilac and bloom yellow...I hope that they do bloom yellow! I will let you know when I receive them and plant them!

• dragonflygirl316_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

yeah , i got a primrose yellow lilac from springhill and this is the 2nd r its a lovely white , i just hung up the phone and they say it blooms white at first but i just dont know about this , its really upsetting me to pay so much and not get what you want .....

• tjwigardner_aol_com
    12 years ago

Mine is blossoming now,the end of June, after about five years or more. Looks white to me. It is only about two feet tall now and very small leaves compared to other lilacs. I too bought it through mail order. I am glad it final blossomed and can see it's actually a lilac.

• raisa
    11 years ago

I've been researching this gorgeous plant and trying to figure out where I can put it. My lovely cotttage garden is pretty much maxed out. From what I've learned, this plant shows better color in warmer climates (south/southwest). Hope this assuages some of the disappointments.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm