Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

growing from seed in Michigan

Hello, I currently live in Florida. Very soon (in about a week) I'll be relocating to Michigan. Where I'll be living is in the northern part of the lower peninsula.

I'll be living in Charlevoix county in a city called Boyne City.

I plan to make a 10 x 16 plot. The plot will consist of eleven rows, each row being about 10 ft. in length; these rows will each be spaced 6" (1/2 a foot) apart. This plot will consist of 11 rows and I plan to grow these veggies in it:

*Bush green beans

*tomatoes

*cucumbers

*lettuce

*sweet bell peppers

*Beets

*zucchini and/or summer squash

*cabbage

*carrots

*Radish

I would like to grow the stuff from the above list from seed. My questions are these; is it too late to grow stuff from seed? I realize Michigan has a very short growing season. Is soil in Michigan suitable for gardening as is? The reason I'm asking this is because soil in Florida is horrible for gardening, and you have to add soil and fertilizer for anything to grow here because the native soil is horrible. By this I mean, do you have to add anything to the soil to

assist what will be growing in the soil (fertilizer, lime, mulch, etc.) If so, in what quantities?

Also my other questions are is it too soon to start planting stuff or can I plant stuff now? Is now the time to plant cool weather veggies (lettuce, radishes, cabbage, onion, broccoli, sugar snap peas) or warm weather veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers, any kind of melon, summer squash, pumpkins, zucchini, cucumbers, bell peppers, green beans, okra, eggplant). The reason I ask is because the growing season in Michigan is completely opposite of Florida's growing season.

The best time to start planting stuff in Florida is about September or October. If you try to plant stuff in the summer months here, it's too hot and anything you try to grow in May thorough about August or July is liable to up and die on you cause it's too hot.

Are there any people on this forum who live in this area of Michigan? I could really use help with gardening, as I'm new with it, and don't have any experience in growing stuff. Basically what I would need help with is creating the plot itself and measuring the dimensions for it.

Comments (2)

• puzzlefan
    14 years ago

We are about 50 miles from your MI location. `The vine crops will depend upon the variety. Melons would be out unless you are keeping your crops covered at night to hold in the warmth. Tomatoes and peppers, no Look for at least quart size plants. I really cringed last week when I saw someone buying a little six pack of tomatoes that I know will never reach full maturity. They are predicting a cooler than normal summer and an even earlier frost so all crops will need help this year. We are expecting a freeze again tonight so I brought all my plants indoors once again. I had to transplant the tomatoes and peppers yesterday which is really unusual as they were crowding their 2 gallon pots. I had thought they would be in the garden by now but the cold nights just won't go away. You need a minimum of 50 degrees at night to prevent blossom drop. GOOD LUCK

• paul_
    14 years ago

Hey KG!

An early welcome to MI

Normally, I plant tom plants (in Traverrse City) that are only 4" high and have no trouble having them reach maturity w/o a problem before summer's end. First mention I've heard about this summer being predicted to be "cooler than normal" -- but considering how erratic our temps have been so far, I can easily believe puzzlefan to be correct.

Back to your Q's:

I agree w/ PF -- its too late for you to start the majority of plants you mentioned from seed. Typically for seed grown crops, you want to start your seeds in early to mid April. The lettuce you can probably do and a cool summer won't be as big of an issue for that or other cool weather crops like sugar snap peas.

As far as your soil goes -- you are going to have to wait until you get to your new home before you'll really know. Michigan soils tend to be either quite sandy/gravelly or heavy clay. Whether the previous owners amended their soil at all will also make a difference. That being said, once you get your garden area prepped, it takes less time to do so in succeeding years. At this point I would say hold off on picking up any plants until you have a chance to get to your new place and can determine exactly WHERE the garden will be located & can examine your soil. (Btw, posting pics of the garden location might possibly also be helpful at that time.

Look forward to hearing from you once you get moved in and can really get dow to business.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio